trailor light problem very stumped need help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Oct 7, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: well here goes i have a 2001 f450 and as of yesterday trailor lights worked perfectly. today right side had no directional or brake but parking, left side is fine.

i changed all new light, harness and still same problem, when i use a test light i have no power to the right turn plug, all other functions are fine. seems to be a problem from the truck plug to tail light on truck. any ideas???? im stumped tony

2. procare57

procare57 LawnSite Member

check your ground to that plug. good luck

3. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

under the hood of the truck there should be a fuse box by your master cylinder. there are fuses in there for the trailer wiring. i believe there is one for the left and one for the right. i have had to replace them before. i have an 01 F350. try that.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would check the fuse as well

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I can't make sense of what's wrong in your case, but any trailer wiring problem I've ever had turned out to be a bad ground.

6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

you blew the fuse under the hood

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony,
    Check where your splice kit for the truck is (especially the right turn which is also the right brake light) if you are 4 flat its the green wire usually W/ the bargemens, it depends on who wired it.

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: guys thanks for the input, this has been a very frustrating situation, esp when you think all possiblitiles are thought to have been done, thanks again tony, ill let you guys know tom. how it went.

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't have a fuse blown, check your lighting wires. You may have one that is grounded on your trailer frame. I went through that ...
    Even if you do have a fuse blow, as that will cause the fuse to blow. :rolleyes:

10. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Eliminate the trailer and check the connections at the plug - if everything is OK to the plug on the tow vehicle, then the problem is in the trailer - probably a broken wire or a bad ground. Use a multimeter to check the connections for voltage. The multi meter will also tell you whether you have a good ground or not if you do a continuity check.

Here's a link for trailer wiring:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp