Training a Lineman??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, May 11, 2004.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I am solo. I want to add a helper. I am wondering how hard it is to teach them how to weedeat correctly.

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I think the first thing I learned was the 3 and four point stance. Then the sweep, and ....

Sorry, flashback to football season, wrong line man :eek:

I would say to assume they know nothing, and go from there. Start with how to wind the spools, how to set the choke, start the trimmer, and then move on to how NOT to scalp the lawn with those nice little circles. Have them watch you do it once, and then have them do it. Then point out things you notice. Then have them do it again, and have THEM point out things they can improve.

By training them the right way, and completely from the start, you'll save time in the long run, and avoid any confusion.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. I agree exactly.... especially with the improve part... I think that is where a lot of great ideas come from.....If you can remember that you are the boss, but that they may have some ideas too...... That is one thing I'm bad about.. I get in the mind set that I've been doing something a certian way for a long time, and this is how it should be done, but I have learned lately that there is always room for improvement.... No you don't have to let them make any decisions, but take their suggestions and really listen, you may find that it is a good idea for you and them both, or you may come up with an idea from thier idea...
    one thing is for sure, that if they think they are invloved instead of headcount they will work a lot harder...... if not they may work about a season, then take thier "along with your" ideas, and use them next year when you see them pulling thier own trailer LOL