Training and testing needed for liscencing of fertilizer application?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by bzackrie, Feb 20, 2007.

1. bzackrie

bzackrie LawnSite Member

2. bzackrie

bzackrie LawnSite Member

also is there a certain age reguirement (only 16) and do you have to a business liscence or anything to do this.

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably don't need a license to put down straight fert. (varies) but i would get licensed in turf and ornamental. Grow your business as much as you can.
    But learn Learn, learn BEFORE you think about spraying any kind of pesticide. If you plan on doing that.Good Luck

4. bzackrie

bzackrie LawnSite Member

Ok, we plan on putting down fertilizer, weed control, pest control, all that good stuff. It comes with the program we have set up and its mixed in with the fertilizer on some of the steps. Like for our summer application it has pest control plus the fertilizer. and so if I take that training I will be liscenced to apply fertilizer and pesticide on other peoples lawns beside my own?

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Correct. There may be testing too. Getting licensed is a great move for your business. It will open up all sorts of doors for you.

6. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I am in IL. too. If you are applying any type of herbicide or pesticide you have too carry a Operators license. Who ever owns the company has to have a Applicators license. I went through this a couple of years ago. I have a small lawncare business. I thought I could just go get a operators license and be fine. WRONG. In order to get an operators license you have to list the applicator you are working for. So now I hold an Applicator and a Operator license. You can get workbooks from your local extension office through IL. AG. department. p.s. even your combination products like scotts cotain herbicides and pesticides so you still need a license. HOPE THIS HELPS!!

7. bntt68

I did not mention that the category I am licensed for is turf and ornamentals, if you plan on spraying Roundup in the cracks of sidewalks and driveways you need to be licensed in the category Right of Way also.

8. bzackrie

bzackrie LawnSite Member

Ok, well its me and a friend who own the "company" its not a real business yet (does that matter?) so we both have to have a applicators liscence and a operators liscence? could we just get the applicators liscence and not get the operators liscence or does it come with it??

9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

One of you need an applicators license. Here in Jersey you can have some one work for you w/o a license and do apps. as long as they in your line of site at all times. Basically you have to be right by them, But Deffinitely One of you will have to be an applicator/operator. Not for nothhing, You don't want to be doing any of this without knowing what you are doing. If you do the Apps. wrong you will be hurting: !
    1. Your customer and their lawn, who are relying on your knowledge to do the work properly and effectively.
    2.Your business reputation, won't get more work if your lawns look like sh%t and people are bashing you.
    3.The environment
    4.Us, you will be giving people who do this for a living a bad reutation.

This is what can happen IF you don't take the time to learn First. Anyway good luck with all of this. Hope it all works out.

10. bntt68

Very well said Shade!! Im pretty sure here you have to have an Operators license to apply no matter what.