Training Bermuda to be reeled

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by densonlandscapes, Jul 21, 2012.

1. densonlandscapes

densonlandscapes LawnSite Member

Ok ok I know this has probably been answered at some point in this forum probably alot of times but my search didn't't return the answer. So We bought a c-27 reel after an employee of mine talked me into it. We mow our customers this time of year at 2" with the walker so after taking it down to 1.5" with the walker and then 1" with the tru cut how long can I expect it to take to get the grass to green back up at the new level? Keep in mind that I also do the chemicals on all of my property's so they all just had a round of 25-3-8 fert and we have been having afternoon rains for the last 2 weeks. I understand they are multiple factors involved in how fast it greens up but think of a perfect world and recommend based on that. Thanks everybody great forum love it:clapping:

2. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

I would think around 2 weeks with irrigation. You do realize to keep it at 1", you'll have to cut every 3-4 days?

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I'd love to do some bermuda with a reel.

The hard part is getting a customer to understand that the shorter you cut it the more frequently you need to mow. I have a hard enough time getting people to do weekly!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. If you are going to start cutting with a reel, I would scalp the bermuda, verticut, and sand it. If you have been maintaining at 2", there is prob a good amount of thatch buildup.

Def. need to charge more to cut with a reel too.

I doubt it would even take 2 weeks for the bermuda to green up. Bermuda grows like crazy now. I have scalped areas of zoysia that were completely green 5 days later....and bermuda grows way faster than zoysia.

5. Good point....

BUT, I think if Primo was applied, once/wk would suffice.....def. cheaper to apply primo i would think than cut 2x/wk with a reel.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If you hit it with fert like you say and it's irrigated well it should only take a few days. I'm more concerned with how smooth your lawns are. Since you took them down another inch I'm guessing they are 100% brown so it's hard to see the high/low spots...you will soon find out. At 1" you can probably have 1/4"-1/2" deviation before it will show scalping badly...but you will see sharp lines really bad if not topdressed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cgaengineer

How's the Trimmer working out?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Works great Chris!

yard 4 weeks post top dress 4.jpg

9. cgaengineer

Looks fantastic! Looks like you are feeding it some iron!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cgaengineer

Denson must be out yelling at his Bermuda to kick it into shape. Bermuda boot camp.
    Posted via Mobile Device