1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Training day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redoak77, Sep 20, 2004.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

How to you train your employees? I just got a new one with out any experience and find myself instructing him on how to do anything and everything. (even how to start a Trimmer)Just looking for ur insights
  2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Depends. if ya like him and get on well then ya just have to keep showing him how to do the job if he cant grasp the basics in a day or two KICK HIS A$$ and find someone with a little experience. :D
  3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that most time no experience seems to make the best people. They don't have that I'll do it my way attitude. They don't know anything and you can teach them how you want it. Good luck. I know it is frustrating.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive recently developed my employee handbook/procedure manual for us to use. In addition, I have two guys the are bossy and coach any new one I get so I dont have to.
  5. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

Are you willing to share your handbook/procedure manual? Thanks
  6. Mean Green Lawns

Mean Green Lawns Banned

I scream and yell and cuss'em out untill they cry and quit.. lol JK good question though... I agree if you like'em teach hiim, but if he's a frickin tool, let him become someone elses liability.
  7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Training is a good way to set yourself apart from the competition and begin to build a good relationship with a new employee. It illustrates to them you consider them a valued team member and that you want them to be successful it will also get them going with a bit of confidence. It can also quickly weed out the good from the bad.

I start by just setting aside time I do it on the job with the foreman running the crew. I take some time with the new guy and show him where we keep everything in the trailer and how to operate any tool he will be asked to operate along with safety procedures and basic maintenance, grease Zerk's, how to check oil, and so on. I don't take anything for granted. I have not hired any one new since we completed some of our field systems. The next guy will get a handbook before he begins.

If you train them in the morning and you see them not following directions in the afternoon you know you have a problem. If its still the same mistakes the next day you have a decision to make. Better than turning them loose seeing them do things wrong then doing some quick half assed training combined with screaming and intimidation. Then they are on the defensive scared of making a mistake trying to hurry and most likely making more mistakes.
  8. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

In my years of hiring and firing, I've found that people with no experience make the best employees. Infact, I'd prefer that a new hire has never even cut thier own lawn before. So called "experienced" hires, many times, have been mistrained and have some sort of resistance to learn proper procedures. I know that it's frustrating; but if your guy displays good work ethic and eagerness to learn, stick with him. My full time helper was completely green. And in the past year, Ive groomed him into a grass cutting, mulch spreading machine....Which is a far cry from his first day on the job when I had to get him to follow me with an unstarted weedeater while I was trimming! It'll probably take at least a few weeks until your guy is any help at all. But when spring hits, he should be good to go.
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Time, Time, it takes lots of time and patience. I do agree however that no experience will get you better employees. You teach them the way you want things done.