Training Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Jan 13, 2006.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

How do you train new employees? Our guys need to use walk behinds, a 60 inch rider, trimmers, etc. Seems like in season it is hard to break in a new guy. I would like to know if you have a good way or formal plan for training. We usually just put them on a crew and have them stick edge and do the easy things until they learn.

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Well, for the company I work for, whenever someone new is brought in, we give them a basic rundown of the account and what's involved at each place. We'll give them a basic demonstration of how to do it and then we let them go. It takes about 2 weeks to really get it down, 2 times on each property. From then on they will learn the little things and then the more they are around it, the faster they get and the more they learn and see how to do things.

3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

We usually start new hires on 21" mowers. They have to learn the lawns and how to use a trim mower. If they make it a month, we start working them in on the walk behinds. The trimmer is the last tool they are trained on. It requires the highest level of skill to operate quickly without damaging everything. Get ready to fix whatever equipment you give them to use.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I havn't trained anyone but agree with MWHC about the trimmer and how it requires the higest level of skill to operate quickly without damaging something.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

senior employees train new hires

6. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

The most effective method for training is throwing them right in the fire! Now...just make sure it is a "cookie cutter" lawn with no 35 degree slopes, ponds, etc.

The first thing I do with new hires is make a birds-eye view (map) of a property. I draw mulch beds beside the home, around the trees in the middle of the yard, and the streets. I state how close the neighbor's home is, the current landscape materials and all the particulars of the home, including fences, dogs, kids and special instructions.

I create a 1 thru 10 list of what I would do if I pulled up to the property.
    1. Pick up sticks and trash.
    2. Unload WB or ZTR and make 2 counter clockwise circles around the home blowing the grass out into the lawn.
    3. Make 2 counter clockwise turns around every mulch bed and tree in the yard blowing the grass out into the yard.
    4. Stripe the yard in a different direction than the last cut.
    5. Edge sidewalks and drive.
    6. Blow off sidewalks, drive and porches.
    7. Walk the property looking for any issues.
    8. Lock all gates.
    9. Watch fellow employees and plan your time wisely.
    10. Load / Lock / Roll

As silly as this seams, it works great. They are able to follow directions as I draw them out on a map. Once I took the time to do this for the new-hires, they were up and running much quicker.