Training Hispanic Employees????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clayton800, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clayton800

Clayton800 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys have Hispanic or Mexican help. Do they speak English? How do you comunicate with them??? I am frustrated trying get these guys to understand what we are trying accomplish here. Is there some kind of video or something these guys can watch in spanish??
    Help :( :(

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Use this winter to take a course at your local university or community college or hire at least on that is bilingual. I took 2 semesters at my local university and this help very much.

MATT

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

clayton--you didn't say how many you run on a crew. if it's say...four on a crew, you hire one that's bi-lingual and he's the boss.

but the other suggestion to learn the lingo is a good one if you are gonna employ them.

I am from just north of where you are and they are about all the farm help you can get now.

GEO

4. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

www.emp-translators.com

Here is quick reference translator it has about 7 pages of just basic landscape terms in spanish.

Also the PLCAA has videos in both spanish and english

www.plcaa.org

5. MSYardman

MSYardman LawnSite Member
    from MS & LA

You uso un manual de aprendizaje y de certificacion. El proposito de ste aprendizaje es el de capacitar al aprendiz para que pueda desempenar los requisitos del trabajo con exito a la satisfaccion del cliente sin supervision directa.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you should learn spanish? shouldnt they learn english? i know how to say only a few words: hurry up, do it right, dept of immigration, poverty, and hunger. they usually catch on quick....

8. SuperLawn

SuperLawn LawnSite Member

MSYardman

You uso un manual de aprendizaje y de certificacion. El proposito de ste aprendizaje es el de capacitar al aprendiz para que pueda desempeƱar los requisitos del trabajo con exito a la satisfaccion del cliente sin supervision directa.

I use a learning manual and of certification. The purpose of this learning is the one of qualifying the apprentice so that it can carry out the requirements of the work with success to the client's satisfaction without direct supervision.

Es mejor traducir, al idioma que todos podamos entender

It is better to translate, to the language that we all can understand

BTW: It is a good spanish

Tony

9. daleintx

daleintx LawnSite Member

Here in San Antonio, Tx there is a large migration of mexicans (********) that takes place every weekend. Hundreds of Mexicans cross the border every weekend to come to San Antonio to work for the week and then back across the river on Friday night and back again on Sunday night. I have found most know what they are doing and I just have to point to what i want or use small words and have been able to usually to get by with that. A lot know a few words and most have had a lot of experience in this business. I have gotten some very good workers downtown just working for the day. There are hundreds if not a thousand mexicans waiting downtown to work every day. Most know how to mow and how to start and work on the equipment. I also somtimes hire a translator that works and can supervise.

10. EDITED OUT: This reply was rude and not appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.