Training Video for Employee's

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by zero_turn_mowers, May 19, 2006.

1. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking about making a training video showing how a daily operation works and how to use equipment properly, has anyone else tried this and if so did it do any good.

Tim

2. ExmarkMower1971

ExmarkMower1971 LawnSite Member
    from 72401

sounds like a good ideal...let me know how it works out for you if you do... will cutt down on lots of training new guys in the field...Good Luck!!!

3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

You can get them for free (we got a couple with a purchase of course) from our local toro dealer. We used to show them to our workers on the golf course i used to work at. they are pretty good and cover all the basics.

4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Operations manuals are the way top end franchises like mcdonalds are able to dupilcate their success all over the world. Every nuance of an employees duties and responsibilities are written out in great detail.

I read this in a book called the E-Myth manager. I'm thinking of making my own manuals but I never thought about videos but considering how easy pod casting and video editing can be managed today.... If you make good ones you could prollly sell 'em. (not to me though, I would pirate them:cool2: )

5. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought my last two Lazers, Exmark just sent them to me. They were pretty corny, but it does help the inexperienced I guess. Try contacting whoevers brand of equipment you've got.

6. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

This training video was not only to know how to run equipment but how to save time, (Example: Pull up on 6 lawns all in one stop trim guy gets out edges all 6 driveways and sidewalks then goes back to edge back patios separtely when he could just off edging in the front at his closest point to the backyard and edge the back then go back to the front and pick up on edging where he left off and continue, grabs weedeater he is trimming around the house and a tree is out 20 feet from the house or shed in the backyard trim those while your already there instead of making all those unnessary foot steps. On a mower when the blades turn on scan the lawn for a mowing pattern that you are almost always cutting grass not reriding areas you have been) These are some of the issues I have with new employees trying to make them productive as well as good equipment operators. Are any of you guys like this...it just makes more sense to me.

Tim

Tim

7. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Pullin up to six jobs and bangin them out real quick is all about finding your pattern. Theres almost like a pattern to doing yards. When you get a pattern down, you'll be zipping through them like no tomorrow. at the company I used to work for I had about 12 lawns on one street. Me and two other guys, would have them all done in about 2 hours or so. I would mow and the other would start whipping together, then one guy would break off and edge, then while the other guy gets done whipping he'd start blowing, and by the time I was done mowing they'd both be on blowers either one or two houses behind me. The best part was, we never got a complaint from anyone in the sub. And this was a high end sub.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I try to do as well, but having two new guys w/ me only part time, I have to hold their hands some times. Dixie Chopper has a training video, but I can't get it to open from my computer. It's under the Support tab.

9. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

I've tried searching the web for a training video for lawncare workers. I couldn't find one. I've had the same idea about making my own. Seems like a good idea, with all the turnover.

10. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I think hands on in the field training is best. You can't really learn how to operate equipment correctly by just watching someone else do it.