Training your guys?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylawnmanagement, May 8, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys trade your guys to use the ztr's? I'am having a hard time training my guys.

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I bring them to their house and let them loose, not my problem if they tear up thier own lawn. Also I showed them the training video that came with my walker.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A foreman does it with them after hours.

First place they start is on a wide open parking lot to get the idea of how to make a K/Y turn. Then they move to the grass area. They're also taught the importance of using the foot assist, deck lift for areas where scalping may be an issue as well.

4. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I might just let them drove it in the parking lot tomorrow. Mystic that is a good idea, let them tear up there yard. I might let them mow there houses this weekend if I have time.

5. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Carry a big stick,and know how to use it!With ZTR or walk behinds we have them start in rough areas that people don't care a lot about.An empty
    parking lot is good too.We start them out slow and work em into it slowly .
    Sometimes I have work I need done on the property so they do my stuff

6. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

I live in a cul de sac, so I let them start there. I also set out buckets or other ojects and have them try to run around them as close as possible without moving them. Then I let them cut my yard, 18K and their own.

I start them out on customer lawns that I have good relationships with so If they tear it up, I wont loose them.

I have also checked on them from time to time. When pressed for time, even good mowers will forget to K turn.

This is my second year and the first season I have turned a crew loose without my direct supervision. I have found that my new mower has been easier to train than my guys with multiple years of experiance, bad habits are hard to break, ie 0 turns, trimming too low, trimming edges at / angles, etc.