1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenman099, Nov 25, 2007.

1. greenman099

greenman099 LawnSite Member

I've passed my certification exam for licensing to spray lawns, but I have limited hands on experience. How could I go about getting this? My present job will not allow me to train on weekdays.
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you find someone who will mentor you evenings or weekends? Could you work with them on their jobs? It would give them a boost and they could train you as you work with them.
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I'd go ahead and send in your application to some LARGER reputable lawn companies in your area with the weekend stipulation you mentioned.
    If they're big enough, they may have some crews that go out on Saturdays (maybe Sunday in 'crunch' time) to spray commercial sites, etc. that they can't do on the weekdays because of cars / full parking lots / people walking / etc.
    After you're trained in their techniques, you may be kidded with and deemed the 'Saturday Joe' for awhile by your peers, but that may be O.K. in that you could be helping some people who need to be off Sat /Sun for whatever reasons- custody of kids, etc.

And if things change down the road with your weekday job, you've already got the foot in the door.........!:waving:
  4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Plus it cuts down on their overtime if they can have you work than someone who is over 40 hrs come Sat. It might also help cutdown on their burnout rate for their applicators.