Training

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Mar 3, 2008.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Ok you big guys with employee's....I need your help!

I am looking at adding my Dad this year and maybe a part time guy to help out wherever needed.

I have always been a one man op, and never had to worry abuot training anyone.

Can you guys help me with any training material that you use with your people? Or just a quick list to go over.

I have them going through the quick guide put out by ODA, but it is very generic.

I feel like I can do a decent job just going over the basics...but don't want to leave anything out.

Thanks,
    RC

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I started to ask this same question a couple of weeks ago. If someone knows of some training materials(videos,dvd's,etc...) that might make the training process a little speedier, I too would like to know... Sorry Rodney, I was just curious too.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The best thing is to ask your local agricultural supplier and/or "gasp!" Lesco.
    Training videos abound and are easily obtainable.
    Contact Moose River Publishing for archival articles if you want printed media.
    If they don't have them, contact your local golf course superintendent/local GCSAA chapter or the GCSAA - Golf Course Superintendents Association of America as I do know they have a huge amount of training videos.
    Used them myself over the years.
    And no, before you ask, I do not have any videos/training material as I do it all myself (the training that is) these days.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Rodney, in NY anyone that applies has to take an 8 hour course to be an apprentice. No similar requirement there? Here the 8 hour course covers the basics, then it's just equipment training.

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

RND signs has some training avaiable (for a cost, of course). It's more on how to talk to customers, etc... but might be of use. Also, check PLANET. I train "on the job." Get in the truck and show 'em how it's done. Two weeks in the field for most guys in the spring and you'll cover a LOT of ground. You can talk between stops about how and why you do things, etc... and most important, they'll learn YOU'RE way of doing things.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Here, anyone who applies needs to be licensed, no apprentice status exists, either you are licensed or not.

I am a small operation, but I've had to train several employees (6) through the years. Here is what I have found to be the most important things.
    1. Have a printed mix list, simple, easy to follow, right there in the truck, so they know exactly how much and in what order.
    2. Go over coverage patterns again and again. It is so easy for a newbie to stripe a lawn, or to have a lapse of coverage in spraying. Have them practice spraying water on pavement till coverage is good and they are applying at the proper rate. Same thing with spreading fert. Have them walk around with you, or your perma-green, so they get very good at repeating your patterns. Then, they apply and you walk around with them.
    3. Realize that clients will ask them questions, make a list of the most commonly asked questions you receive and the answers. Make sure they are not afraid to say, "I don't know, but I'll find out."

Everything else seemed to just come together for all my employees. Pattern and coverage is really the hardest thing, some get it in 2 hrs, some take 2 days.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Here in OH you can have applicators under your license.

There is about a 40 page document that the "new" applicator has to read and then they sign it and they are good to go.

With that being said...I am liable for any and all applications that are sprayed under my license. If they screw up....it is the same as me screwing up.

I am not worried about my Dad not being able to do it.

My dad also farms and he has a decent understanding as we have always done our own spraying. The only difference between spraying a field and a lawn is the area and you are closer to ornamentals and homes. Other then that...it is very similar!

I just need a list of things to cover with him to make sure I am not missing anything.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

IMO there is no new training manual that covers all the bases. The questions in our State's commercial applictor's tests are a joke, cuz they have little to do with running a lawn care business.

Our employees are personally trained by an "original" ChemLawn applicator that was taught the "ChemLawn way" back in the late 70's. IMO this beats any "training manual" on the planet. Especially cuz current training CD's are merely a PARTIAL copy of the "original" ChemLawn/ChemScape manuals. We have both original training manuals (very detailed) plus a former "original ChemLawn" manager w/hort degree . The original manuals cover all aspects of lawn/tree care including sales, service, equipment, etc. But there's nothing better than experience. Our trainer obtained a commercial pesticide license in Iowa before it was required. In 1979, he got his commercial pesticide license in Texas.

Not trying to brag here -- just trying to show one end of the spectrum.

9. Slyder777

Slyder777 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I looked all over and could never find any videos going over the actual application methods, mixing, equipment, etc. used in this business. If anyone ever finds any, I would like to know as well.

Planet had a couple of generic, but fairly decent, videos about pests, weeds, and general lawn care, but that was all I could find.

Shawn

10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried videos, and they just put my guys to sleep.. the only REAL way to do it is on the job... a couple hours of book learning is ok though..