Training

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Diamond Lawns, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

I'm looking for some quick training tips / experiences on edging!:rolleyes:
    I hace been in the business for 4 years and this year have expanded to include 2 employees. Things have been going OK for the most part except in the area of SOFT EDGES (the edging of grass next to flowerbeds or bark ).
    Like most of you I'm sure, for my residential accounts about 75% of the edges are SOFT EDGES and my customers have become accustom to nice clean, straight edges.
    When I started, I learned to cut soft edges with a weedeater. It took a couple seasons but I have become quite proficient at it. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of time with my employees.
    I have tried a 4-wheel push edger with limited success, especially on curves. I have now gone to a couple Stihl straight-shafted stick edgers.
    I don't want to acquire more equipment but am looking for training guidance, successes and failures, on this type of equipment.

2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

You may not need to invest more in equipment. Have you thought about YOU doing the first cut - that way your newbies will just have to follow your lead. Or buy an edger

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

if your talking about edging along concrete. We use the right tool for the job. A tool specificaly designed for the task. Mclane Edgers

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only thing that I can say is practice, practice, practice. Even now I am still learning new techniques that I would have never thought of or could never do before

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Take the help to the woods, put a blindfold on em, and turn em loose with the whackers for a few minutes.

After they have whacked everything pull the blind fold off em and let em see the end results.

Then explain to them that when weed whackin at a customers house, they should do it with thier eyes open, an pay attention to what thier doin....:D :D