1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trak Mats

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PSUturf, Dec 15, 2006.

1. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used a product called Trak Mats (or MudTraks - the heavier version) in place of plywood for protecting lawns from equipment damage? We go through several hundred sheets of plywood every year for lawn protection and it is getting a little bit too expensive. Trak Mats advertise a 3 year warranty against cracking and breaking.
  2. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Check out alturnamats.com . They work real well when you need to get out on soft turf areas and can handle quite a bit of weight. I know alot of arborists who use them when backing their bucket/chip trucks on the grass
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the college i go to uses them all the time, they seem to do a great job but look pretty heavy to move them around...actually guessing from your name you went to Penn State?...thats where i go
  4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

They get real slick.
  5. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

We bought 18 36" trak mats (that gives us 72' for a double row) this spring and have used them extensively. The high end jobs where you have to run across the grass a few times they are most effective. You can run accross a set of mats a number of times with a skid steer before damage to turf becomes apparant - Great for planting trees. They also allow us to drive a dumptruck loaded with stone in areas where we would have never even considered it before.

I don't know which brand is best and cheapest, but common sense would tell you in the summer a white mat might be better then a black mat. The black ones seem like they would burn the turf underneath on a hot summerday.

The mats do flex a little but they are still way better then plywood and seeing what they have been through already will last about 10 times as long.
  6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. We got some Alturna Mats today for a demo with our tree spade truck. They have a 6 year warranty which makes it easier to justify their cost of $175 each.