trak-vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zim bob the landscaper, Mar 19, 2006.

1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

has anyone used the 860 model? how does it work? I'm looking at one for $550 its barley used and its in great shape do you think its a good deal? thanks allot

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I run the 880's, same thing just with an 8 hp motor.

It's a steal at $550, since they can push $1500 new.

I like them, except first thing I do is go get a 1500 lb snowmobile axle from Northern Tool and fab that underneath it.

The problem is that there's no real bearings on the ends of the tires, and if you get a 1/2 way heavy load, you'll warp the rims and the tire's fall off.

Worst deal is when you're jam packed full of leaves and or grass, and your wheel falls off and that side of the axle digs into the ground.

You'll never get it anywhere by yourself until you empty the whole thing.

Spend the $250 more and upgrade the axle, rims and tires, especially since you're only spending the $550 to begin with.

You'll be more than happy.

3. zim bob the landscaper

thanks for the info i have another trailer and i could take the axle off of, i have pulled over 700lb of laom with it do you think that will work or is that to small too? thank again

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

What'll kill you the fastest is filling the thing up with wet grass, say in the springtime if you get behind.

90% of my commercial places, I can dump on site, so sometimes it's faster for me to bring the big bagging (880) trailer in, rather than go over a property 2-3 times trying to get all the clumps to disappear.

You figure if you get whatever number of bushels that the trailer holds, of wet, heavy grass, and you're tootling across a property at a pretty decent clip trying to get caught up, you're running into problems.

Any axle will work as long as you get legitimate hubs on it.

Stock Trac-Vac axles just put a cotter key in the end of them.

5. zim bob the landscaper

i dont think ill be useing it for most of my lawns when im just mowing, they dont want me to bag. im thinking it will be got for when i dethatch and spring and fall cleanups if i do have to use it in wet grass i wont fill it all the way unless i get that axle from northern tool. thanks for all the info