Tranny belts on walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ShortCuts, Oct 20, 2000.

1. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

This is a question for walker owners. Today my day was cut short after a tranny belt broke. The machine only has 80 hours on it. I was on a sidehill that slopes down to a pond. I was lucky i didn't lose the thing. We had to tow it out with truck. I was just curious if tranny belts have gone on any of your machines?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a new 26efi and the belt that is behind the blade drive belt blew this year at around 120 hours I think. That was quick. My ground drive belt is ready to go as I hear it squealing and I have a loss of power up hills. 180 hours on this one.

All I can say is keep a spare set handy. Good Luck.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I always keep a spare close by. The tranny belts are easy to change, I usually change it half way thru the season. Now you know to keep an eye on it, and be ready with a spare. My Walker has been a very worth while investment now going on 9 yrs.

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We havent had any problems with our Walkers. But like MJB keep all spare belts in your truck. PS take belt to dealer to see if it was defective, although not a Walker problem due to they are probly universal belt and fits other mowers he should help.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have 70 hrs on my Walker and have only broken one belt while playing in a ploughed field. I now keep a spare set and will probally replace the belts this winter just to save downtime.

6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i just replaced mine this weekend,lasted all season.belt grip helps if you want to nurse it along for a little while longer.