tranny bolts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've replaced my 9-spline tranny with a 32-spline and it have a different bolt for the shifter. Anyone have experience with that?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well, get on down to your local hardware store, The Home Depot or whatever and get yourself the right one.

3. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

It's a little bit more complicated than that.... The old tranny had a bolt with a square end then it was threaded above that. The new one is shapped like a hockey rink. Round on the ends but straight in the middle. It has a hold drilled into it that is threaded.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, I'm going to assume that you are talking about the shifter shaft itself. A little confusion was caused by the fact that my Gravely (it has 32 spline jackshafts) has a bolt that holds the shifter down on the shifter shaft. My Exmark has the same setup as you are looking at.

You can do 2 things. Either roundout the hole in the shifter that you have now to fit the shifter shaft or get a different shifter that fits the shifter shaft. The Gravely shifter will fit the shifter shaft that you have. It is Gravely part number 048996. It is called a transmission shift arm and it should be easily adaptable to your present shifter.

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Yep, that's what I'm gonna do, except with a scag part, very similar to my lesco. Thanks man!