tranny help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by A.D Services, Nov 22, 2006.

1. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

ok i have an old craftsman rider that i took the deck off of and i put a way undersized pulley on the transaxel. the tranny has been whining for a while and now it has started to squeal very loud. i would like to get this fixed so i can use it to run around the farm. it is a craftsman II gold series with a 12hp briggs. what happened was i was going very fast and i was shifting into the last gear and it popped out and started squealing

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, The first whine sounds like the input shaft bearings took a dump most likely from over spinning with the smaller pulley. Probably needs the input shaft and pinion gear and most likely the large bevel gear now. Does it still move in other gears ? When shifting on the fly (which shouldn't be done) could have broke the shift keys. The only way to tell what damage was done is to perform a tear-down inspection.

3. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

does the trans have an inline or h shift patern

ill assume it has a inline shift pattern those are very simple to take apart and fix i would guess it just needs new shift keys ive also done the pulley mod on a few trans and this seems to be what happens when you do this, the shift keys are about 10 a piece there are either 2 or 4 of them the 4key trans are much better and last longer

to take apart just remove all the bolts on top of the case as well as the shift arm and the pulley then separate the halves youll see the shaft with the grooves and the shift keys ride in the grooves and move to engage each gear you can remove bothe shafts and then remove the gears to then remove the keys but you should be able to tell if thats your problem or if its a striped input shaft gear or posibly diferential gears or somthing these are very basic tranmissions and just fiddling with it for about 10min will reviel how everything works

i also have the service manual that covers all the different transmissions if you want it let me know i can proboly email it to you

4. A.D Services

it is an inline 6 speed(im assuming tecumseh peerless)it works in all gears it just has a very loud squeal. also is there anything i could do to keep this from happening again in other words how could i beef it up so to say. i mean i should have lasted longer than a couple hours right? before i never shifted on the fly. i just this mod today

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

are you racing the mower? i have seen the mowers racing on tv once so i bet theres a site that will tell you what tranny to run. i'm sure some can take the extra revs and some can not.

6. A.D Services

no am just bored and need a toy to play with:)

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

just run it until it breaks and either tear it down or buy another toy. if your going that fast you better wear a helmet!

8. A.D Services

yea thats what i said but it only lasted a couple of hours. and about the helmet thing i definitly agree. ive seen some bad acidents that involve not wearing helmets. its not pretty;) yea these tractor can go fast i didnt have a spedometer but id say i was going about 30 miles an hour. glad i was wearing a helmet. had a gokart it broke, plus i like the feel of a garden tractor

9. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

ive never had one sqeal but the one i ran in my go kart whined pretty bad and it finnaly broke and this is what i found when i opened it up

[​IMG]

youll just have to take it apart and see but probobly a bearing

what pulleys are you running on both the engine and trans, i have a mid 90s AYP rider with a DANA SPICER FOOTE 6 SPEED which is virtiually identicle to the peerless which i run the stock 3in on the engine and a 3in on the trans (stock was 8 or 9) and also bent the gov tang and have a TINY TACH and that briggs 14.5 raps out about 4400rpms and the mower still only goes about 20mph but it seems ALOT faster just because of how unstable the mower is especially with the worn out steering so more than likely your not going faster than that because 30 would be CRAZY on such a top heavey/narrow wheel width vehicle

for comparisont i biult my 1st gokart with a foote 5spd and ran a 8in on the engine and 3in on the trans it it did high 30s and even though it had a low center of gravity the narrow wheel base made it roll over very easily it happened to me several times

this is what it looked like at the end of its life i accually tried to entend the axles to made it wider and more stable but they just ended up bending

[​IMG]

10. A.D Services

yea thats what happened to me i was driving it and i went to turn and it almost tipped over on me. i never realized how loose a tractors steering was until i was going at a fast speed. i think i have a 6 inch pully on the motor and a 3inch on the trans. btw where can you get the parts for the tranny