Tranny replacement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'm replacing 9 spline tranny with a 32 spline tranny. I have to remove the jackshafts from the drive pulleys. Unfortunately, the allen bolts are rusted into the pulleys. Any tips for unsticking them?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

PB Blaster :)

Why aren't you replacing it with another 9 spline?

3. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

If you don't have air tools, take it to the local garage they can probably pop them off in a second for little or no money.

4. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Soak them for a while, a long while. If this doesnt work i almost aways have luck heating them (bolts) with a torch. One of these two have always worked for me.

5. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Liquid wrench or any kind of acid de rester for getting of rusty bolts should help it a little and then screwing it in and out will help loosen it. Maybe get a q tip and keep cleaning as the acid eats away at it. This stuff really works just takes a little time. Every lawn and snow guy should carry a bottle.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

HA! BEEN THERE AND DONE THIS!

IF YOU GET THE SCREWS OUT OF THE PULLEYS(VERY QUESTIONABLE) THEN YOU GOTTA GET THE SHAFTS OUT OF THE PULLEYS! which is going to be a whole lot like wrestling a one-armed-man! (please forgive me in advance if I am offending anyone:()but I'll tell you how to do it.

number one, are those pulleys worn at all? if so just replace them. not too expensive. not worn at all? you gotta soak them for a good while in penetrating oil, and then be careful you don't strip the allen key holes trying to get the screws out.

number two, if you get the screws out, take the pulley/jackshaft to a shop with a press and have them pressed out.

trust me on this one. I'd lie about a FISH or the BABES but never about a jackshaft pulley.;)

GEO