Tranny replcement?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by stangman, Dec 29, 2004.

1. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

I have a 96 Metro that runs really well. I replaced the 12.5 Kohler w/ a 15 Kohler and have a pretty decent machine. My problem is my tranny has lost 4th gear all together. It presently has a Tecumseh trans. on it. Where can I get some specs on swapping it out? And what would be a good replacement? I have done all the work on this mower and would like to keep it this way.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Stangman,

The only good replacement is the peerless/techumseh gearbox. This gearbox is available through any Exmark dealer. You may also want to pull the transmission off and take it in for inspection. It's rare for the gears to fail however the shifter keys can wear which could cause the problem your seeing. It's a realatively inexpensive repair and should last a good long time.

Thanks

Terry

3. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

Just to make sure this is what we are talking about. What happens is when I am in 4th gear I can cruising along and all of a sudden it starts hesitating. It may jump a lil or stop all of a sudden and start back up. Trust me this is not a good feeling cruising along and the have your mower jarred back into your gut.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Stanman,

I would not rule out shifter keys but I would also look at replacing the transmisson belt. When this belt becomes worn it can cause some really strange things to happen..........besides it's a good idea to replace it every couple of years for sure.

My recommendation would still be to pull the transmission or take th mower in to the shop and have the transmission inspected. It's possible the transmission is worn out but I'd still put money on the shifter keys.

Thanks

Terry