1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trans belt in rough shape, replace now or wait till it breaks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Jun 25, 2007.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at my transbelt this morning and there were a few chunks missing out of it. I was wondering what most of you guys would do? Change it now or Wait till it breaks. I always keep a spare belt and jack in the trailer so i won't be driving home to pick it up when it breaks. I wouldn't worry about it if it was a deck belt because they only take a few min to change but last time I did the trans belt it took me like 20 min. What would you do?
  2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

If you have the time, change it. Even if you don't, make time and change it. Something else might go wrong and you'll be running around trying to get it fixed.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I run them till they break.
  4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Really? Are you joking....:laugh: :laugh:
  5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I would fix it....I would hate to have a belt break in the middle of a lawn or a slope!
  6. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

It would be a pain to work on the mower in the yard, and you might be aways away from your truck. Change it when its cool at night so your not doing it in the middle of the day.
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Wait until you are in the middle of big job, preferrably on a very hectic day, and hope that it breaks. That way you can get good and pissed off and push it into the closest lake.
    Change it now.
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

replace it now....on your time and your schedule.....you know it will break after you've had 3 days of rain, you're behind in your work, and you are on your most hateful property...

Its how I justify to my bosses and clients about tree work....take the tree's down or the branches down when you have control over the situation, not after they've fallen and done more damage and its an emergency.

It's all about control. You run the business, don' let the business run you.

Heck while you've got it apart, Id do belts on both sides, that way it won't pull to one side or the other...

The next rain day you have, pull the mower in your garage at the house and do the work, while sipping a beer and listening to the radio...
  9. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Is that a hydro belt you are talking about?

Don't mess around with that, if it needs to be changed do it. Your belt fails on a hill you could be in for a ride.
  10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah but belts are not cheap. what if i wind up getting the rest of the season out of it?