Trans. Install question

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jbailey52, Oct 30, 2006.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question about the multi tap Trans. You guys were a great help before. Anyway Im confused about the "Common' tap... For this job I have 3 #10 cables going to one side, and 2 going to another.. they are all seperate. My question is someone said you can share the multi-tap ports, but not the commons.. if there is only 3 commons in this 900 Watt transformer, does that mean I can only have a max 3 home runs comming out of it? If not what is the best way to do it? That doesnt seem right to me.. any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

You can share the commons, just make sure that you don't exceed 300 watts per common.

3. jbailey52

Why would one site say "remember you can share the multi-taps, but you cannot share the commons" So does that mean I can have multiple wires in one common, just dont have them going into different multi-taps after the same common? I.e. Having 3 wires in one commond and one going to 14v and two to 15v?

Thanks

4. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Extlights is correct. You can put any number of wires in commons as long as you don't exceed 300 watts.

Regarding the voltage taps, you need to check the manual to see how much can be loaded into each voltage tap. CAST transformers will take the entire transformer load on a single voltage tap. Some others limit the load to something less than the full load.

5. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

You can have multiple wires sharing the same common, and they both don't have to share the same voltage tap. So yes, you can have 2 wires going to the same common, and one of those wires going to 14v and the other to 13v if that's what's needed. Just don't exceed the limits.

6. jbailey52

Ok great I appreciate it... I was just concerned when I read "not to share commons" That would mean There could only be three wires comming out of the trans.. would make no sense! Thanks for your input guys!