1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trans replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by seymour_glass, Jul 16, 2005.

1. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

This is probably a really dumb question but if anyone is kind enough to take the time to reply I would really apreciate it.

I have to replace the transmission on a walkbehind. No problem, except that I have no idea how to remove the transmission pulley underneath the engine deck. Holding the pully on to the shaft theres a kinda star-shaped knob. There's also a key involved somewhere in there also.
    There's 2 pics below because I probably didn't describe it very well.

Can anyone help me remove this pully? Thank you.

2. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

There will be an allen worm screw. Probably 2. One of them will be pushing on the key in the keyway. You will probably need a pulley puller to remove it after you loosten the set screws.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is probably a peerless trans. and if so there is supposed to be a snap ring holding this pulley on but the pics. show the snap ring missing and the pulley slightly down covering the groove in the shaft. The pulley was probably driven on the last time it was installed, Never the less what I would do since you are replacing the whole trans. is take the top off and remove the two cross shafts, Down in the bottom you will see the input pinion gear. You will find a snap ring holding this gear on the shaft, Remove this ring then the gear then the key and tap the shaft out the bottom. Take the pulley and shaft assembly to a machine shop and have the shaft pressed out of the pulley.
  4. seymour_glass

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, it's a peerless, so it appears I'll do just what you said. As it is, I had already removed the top of the trans along with the gear assembly to "check it out" for the hell of it, so the input gear is already accessible. I have no idea what a snap ring looks like, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
    It's amazing how much you help people out around here restrobob! i really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to help out a dumbass like me.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No problem seymour, I enjoy helping out when I can !
    We are all dumb asses when we are faced with something out of our expertise,And in most cases it's best to ask dumb questions than to make stupid mistakes. You wouldn't believe the things people bring me to remove for them after they have already been beaten on, So your pics. surprised me when I saw the pulley still usable, Anyway glad to help.

Btw; A snap-ring is also called a retaining ring, It has two holes in it for a special type pliers to be inserted to remove, They can be found at a auto parts store pretty cheep and you will need them to install the pulley on the new trans. And clean the inside of the pulley and make sure it slides on the new shaft pretty easily before mounting the trans. and use some kind of anti-seize compound for future removal.
  6. seymour_glass

lol, your never short of great information! I now know what a snap ring is thanks to your description., the reason it's not there because I had removed earlier messing around and then forgot about it. :eek: Thanks again so much!