Transaxle trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FIXDISS, Jul 28, 2006.

1. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor has an MTD model 13BR609G022 (Lawn Chief) 17hp/42" cut rider that has developed a jerk in the transmission when it is under a load. Have removed transaxle after eliminating belts and pulleys. Upon removal of the cover on transaxle all I have been able to see is the axle bushing on right side is severely worn. Would this alone cause enough misalignment in the pinion to cause it to hesitate or skip just a bit causing it to jerk as described? The model # on transaxle is 618-0307C.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I wound say not, Most all slippage or skipping I have found has been the pinion gear jumping teeth on the bevel gears. Remove all the grease from the pinion and bevel gears and inspect for wear, Check the one bevel gear for wobble on the shaft and the splines for wear on the other and of course the pinion shaft bearings. The bushings on the (technical name) drive shaft (bevel gear shaft) could be worn causing the bevel gears to spread too far apart causing the pinion to jump teeth.

If the teeth are fine and the bushings look OK a extra shim washer could be added behind the free spinning bevel gear to tighten the space up between the two. But this is trial and error because you wont know if that works until you reinstall the trans. back in the unit.
    All the washers in these trans-axles are of the shim type (different thickness), So make sure should you remove them you get them back in the same place you removed them from.

Wished I had a nickle for each of these I've been into. payup

Good Luck

3. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Rob. Neighbor was hoping to get thru this season and buy a new mower this fall but looks like he might have to change his plans, huh ?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Not really, Replacement parts for these cheapo trans-axles are less than Peerless or Dana. Just check it out closely and price up any parts needed then see where he's at.