Transfer tanks in pickups for refueling?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Apr 4, 2004.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Most of us use gas cans, but there are drawbacks:spilling, bouncing around, leaking etc. I see guys with tranfer tanks for diesel why not gas? It just seems like the cans are much more dangerous; with static electricity and bedliners.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well i have a few reasons. 1- I dont want to spend 250 dollars or more on one. 2- I worry about some one stealing alot of gas. 3 I was scared if I got in a wreck and had a large amount of fuel of having a large fire or a large clean up bill if I had a spill. But I agree the small cans do have draw backs

3. SLC1234

SLC1234 LawnSite Member

Almost all of our mowers are diesel, so we have 100 gallon transfer tanks in a couple of the trucks and a 750 gallon tank at the shop. But with gas in the back I would be worried about that much fuel in the back of a truck plus I think that there is a law about how much gas you can carry on a truck. I know that it is more flammable than the diesel fuel. But the tanks are great time savers on the job and in the morning. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

4. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I agree about spills and flammability. But isn't a mounted, grounded 55 gal. steel tank safer than several 5 gal gas cans? Not to mention, the leaking gas caps spilling on equip?

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You can plumb a fuel pump into your existing tank. Sure, your gas guage will go down a lot in your truck, but if you have 38 gallons or so it may not be that bad.

KB

6. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

i had custom tanks made that fit within the frame rails of my gooseneck trailer over the bed of the truck. i have dual 27 gal tanks one gas and one diesel. it gravity feeds through a 10 ft long 1 in hose to a regular nozel. i have locks on the fill side and the nozel. i just pull my mowers up next to the trailer and fill em up. its just like at the gas station. and the best part is i never have to mess with a five gal gas can again.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Prime, that's pretty clever.

8. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

guys check out the northern tool master catalog for spring 2004. there is a blitz 10.5 gallon gas can that is D.O.T approved for mounting on trailors. it's steel and has a gas nozzle like a gas station, might not be big enough for sum of you guys but it would work great for me, and it's only $99. i posted this in the gas can storage rack thread