Transfering diseases from lawn to lawn........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, May 3, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

......Is it possible? Is it possible for your mower to pick up a disease that one of your lawns has and carry it to your next lawn and spread it? If so, how can you stop it? I keep my mower clean but not after every lawn.

2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

wow so there could be STD's for lawns? MTD's? mower transmitted diseases? Better get me a trojan for my scag.

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

My brother had a fairy ring appear.........told him I couldn't cut it any more, or would have to bleach the tires each time. He bought his own mower.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I had a customer show me an article that said we should use rubbing alcohol on our blades after each lawn. This was a few years ago.

5. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

So if I find a lawn with a disease, just drop them? I don't want to hurt my rep or business by ruining other peoples lawns that I'm suppose to keep up.

6. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

why don't you kill the disease for them an charge a truck load of money.

7. WarrenRaymond

WarrenRaymond LawnSite Member

Yes you can spread diease from lawn to lawn. It is not the blade as much as the grass clippings that stick to the underside of the mower and then fall off while mowing other properties. Simple solution is to treat the customers infected lawn and wash off the deck after each cutting of that lawn. You can also cary a sprayer with bleach and water to spray under the deck before washing it. About two ounces to a gallon should be fine. I have done this before until the disease on my customers lawn had been treated and gone away. If you pass it to another lawn then treat that lawn as well to minimize your problems.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, it is possible to transport a disease from lawn to lawn, especially if the disease is reproducing spores.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

A healthy lawn will take care of its self. You can also spread weeds from house to house.

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

MTD's ....OK !!!!!!!