transformer not turning off

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by BrandonV, Feb 3, 2010.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Guys I'm having a problem I've never had before, transformer is not turning off. Timer is working, and the photocell is working but the transformer just keeps going. any clue to why? it's not overloaded and none of the runs have more than 300v so I'm a bit perplexed.

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

3. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Correct me if I am wrong but the transformer will always be on unless something else is telling it to shut down like the timer, photocell or other controlling device.
    I assume you have swapped out with new any of those items? :)

4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Is this a 900 or 1200 watt transformer???

5. BrandonV

1200w name escapes me at the moment, it was something the store wanted me to try instead of an alliance one. we had an alliance one in there first and it always had a real hum to it (fuse style) and it gave out after 1 year so we put this one in about a month ago.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Brandon, no offense man, but it is hard for us to help you diagnose this unit when you dont know its make, model, etc.

Does it have a control over-ride switch like Nightscaping and others use? This would by-pass the controls and leave the transformer on all the time.

Is it possible that the plug in controls you have installed are in fact faulty? What steps have you done to trouble shoot it?

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I would be willing to bet that the contactor inside the unit is stuck which will allow power on the secondary even if the inner plug is out.

8. BrandonV

Yeah, I can unplug the photo cell or the timer. Still on, is there a fix? And why?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Pauls right sounds like a stuck relay I have seen it a few times especially on the bigger ones. It will stay on regardless of the photocell or timer operation.

You should replace it but the external timer would also remedy the situation. I really recomend you replace it.