1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Transition from Echo to Sthil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by southerntide, Jun 18, 2014.

1. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

Due to my "EX" Gravely dealer had so many issues out of banned from shop etc. only caved when Ariens/Gravely Corp came in and offered us a demo and banning us from dealership when I exposed him selling off out of date 2012's for full 2014 price, I must now make the transition to Sthil.

I was going to invest in Echo PAS series, I use a older SRM 210 as main trimmer all other echo dealers are hour away as Gravely dealers were.

Which unit do you recommend to replace my old unit FS90?

Invest in multi attachment series?

I just bought a new Deere so not looking to dive deep into a big price, just a little at a time if I go with multi attachment series.

Feedback appreciated and Thanks a head of time.

2. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

Just to be clear I have no idea about Sthil always used Echo products.

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

We run about 1/2 and 1/2 now... Used to be exclusively Echo, then my dealer turned me onto Stihl whenever I was comparing pole saws. On the Echos we run the 266s, have about 3 of them, also a few handheld blowers and the bed re-definer. On Stihl we are running 3, 130s, 2 of them with "bicycle" handles and a couple FS100x. Also have the KM130r kombi which we use a hedge trimmer and pole saw (it is awesome), same power head as the 130s, using the BR600 backpacks too. Of course Stihl chainsaws....

Honestly they are both great brands. I usually pull out the Echo 266 when I'm trimming, only because I've had them forever and they are my "go to". my guys love the FS100x due to they are a lot lighter than the Echo.

4. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

My deal is I cannot deal with Echo being the Issue's with old Gravely dealer only one around here carrying them, so I have to go sthil all the way from now on. Only have one trimmer left it the old SRM 210 sold one the other day.

Now to which one run a dedi trimmer FS90 or something comparable then later maybe invest in multi-tool combo.

5. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

bumper cars :cool2:

6. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Fs94r for everyday trimming and km130 for all attachments. Br600 blower, ms290 or bigger chainsaw, and hs56c-e hedge trimmer or bigger if you need it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Fs130r.......
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. mach14604

mach14604 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My advice don't go to Sthil. I just bought a top of the line stick edger last year. It is a piece of junk. It is the hardest starting machine I have ever used. It is not worth it. My Redmax and Echo start on the first pull. I had issues when I worked for a company that ran Sthils and having issues with this edger shows me nothing has changed.

9. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

I'm thinking 90's model range for everyday trimmer FS90R or FS94R as above, any reason you would use a FS130?

I been crunching numbers against echo's products why waiting on replies those 2 listed seem to be equal or better than the old srm-210 which I still use now it's like 8 or more years old been beat up and put through some rough work, only thing I have had to replace was head before deal went sour with dealer a month ago bearings burnt up and string recoil starter just replaced Monday had to drive a hour to get it lol.

I would like to invest in a backpack blower at some point not really much cleanup to do on our jobs beside walkway and driveways so I can hold off for a while but looking in to the multi tool attachments hard was set on PAS echo series to buy in off season or beginning of next season because I am expanding out and advertising hard next year for the first time ever always been word of mouth or someone stopping us on one of our job sites.

10. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

I don't have a choice but to go with Sthil never used them but cannot do Echo will not drive a hour for parts or put money in for 2 trimmers for the just in case something breaks while the other sets up and rust.

The only other options is craftsman from Lowes and that is a big hellno :laugh: