Transition from Echo to Sthil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by southerntide, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Stihl says the 100RX is non compatible with the other heads/attachments. Do you actually swap them and have had no problems yet?

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I have a 55 and 2 110 Kombi power heads, and they are all hard too start, and sometimes don't start.

I will say the attachments all work great and seem to be bullet proof.

3. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

I always thought of sthil being best for chainsaws that was it not really sure there seems to be more negative feedback than positive, I've done forum searches and everything related in this thread.

I may just go ahead with Echo and any breakdown have a backup in place and take it to nearest dealer 1hr away for repairs if that ever happened, I just sold 1 curved shaft I just kept laying around never hardly used it I have never had any issues with Echo motors or breakdowns, my head lasted me over 8 years before bearings went out same with starting recoil assembly.

Still 50/50 on what to do so far in to this.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Personally Ill be switching to Shindawia as time goes on.

5. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

Well you know about my Gravely dealer fiasco he's only one around for a hour that carries Echo (mechanic/dealer) just like all the other Gravely dealers were a hour away.

Only other stuff left in Lowe's I don't trust anything with a motor for commercial use from there, my JD dealer carries only Sthil, may bite the damn bullet on this one I plan on 2 new units, my SRM 210 still has good life in it grips are worn has new head and starter recoil assembly lasted 8 years only issues I've had with it, so I could handle 1 trimmer going down if it ever did and take the 1hr drive to shop for that, totally different issue with mowers for me.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

2 with the old hollow shaft and 1 with the new flex shaft work well with attachments for us. We did break one of the old shafts twice knocking down brush with the guard off but the new shafts should be much more resilient.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Wow. That's interesting and good to know!:)

8. joe crumpler services

joe crumpler services LawnSite Member

I use Husqvarna combi units and get good service from them.

9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been relatively happy with my FS90R. More than enough power for anything I'll ever need it for and the articulating hedge trimmer attachment was probably THE best money I've spent to date - I use it a LOT and it makes trimming a breeze.

I think it was my third year when it started getting hard to start. Apparently needed a valve adjustment because after that it was fine.
    I bought a new one this spring so I'd have an identical backup - I hate using a backup that's different than what you're used to using.

Both units start on the first pull 90% of the time without priming, or moving the choke.

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

So you're switching to Echo?