1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Transition from Echo to Sthil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by southerntide, Jun 18, 2014.

1. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this opinion based on comparing apples to apples?

Again, is this based on apples to apples comparison? Because you and I are at different ends of the spectrum. My first Echo was 12yrs ago and it's still running. I switched to Stihl, 7yrs ago, because an outstanding dealer started carrying them. You can look at my signature list and see everything I have. I'd still be with Stihl, if they were all that. For sure, if you came into my shop and demoed my Stihl FS55 against my Echo 225, you'd have a different opinion. Furthermore, my LCO friend with three crews going left Stihl, as well. I'm glad I listened to him and gave them another look.

If it were a proper 2-stroke you wouldn't have to adjust valves. And, adjustments aren't the only thing they need. It's been well-documented they have major issues with their 4-mix valvetrains and customer satisfaction. Otherwise, they would continue moving in 4-mix direction.

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue, as in the carb needs cleaned. If you're not frequently using the equipment, you should always mix Sea Foam in with your gas. It's not a bad thing to do that anyway, to keep things cleaned out. Also, you may consider using the premixed 50:1 gas, as it's pure, if you're a less frequent user. I've seen paraffin buildup, within a month of using pump gas.

To be fair, only the RM 8500 can compare to that blower. That thing's a beast!