Transition Zone overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doster's L & L, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Usually i don't like to overseed this late in the year. In my quest to expand to the next town by advertising liming, I had a call to lime and overseed as well. She has a bermuda lawn that is thin in places that she wants to be filled in before it got too cold. I think she is a little late in having this service done. However, if i do the seeding, I plan on using primarily Annual rye mainly because of the bermuda that's already there, and i don't think the lawn will look right with fescues AND the bermuda mix in mid summer. (shade is involved too btw). After seeding i plan to cover it with straw. My questions are: #1 Do you think i should do any seeding at all? #2 Should i go ahead and use fescues and perennial R in this mix because of the shade? #3What fert should i use this late if any? Thanks for your help.

2. RyanVT2005

RyanVT2005 LawnSite Member
    from VA

It would usually be too late for seeding, but with a fairly warm fall you probably can get away with it.

If you are going to seed, I would ryegrass, and leave the fescues out. There is too much of a texture difference with the fescues.

As for the fert you definitely want to add Phosphorous and Nitrogen. The Phosphorous is need for quick root development and the Nitrogen will green it up

Hope that helps

3. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

The Rye will come up. Go ahead. What are you going to to help rectify the bare spots in the summer?

4. Doster's L & L

I left that part out in the opening of the thread. If after i get the soil tests i find that the pH is terribly low, then i correct that, i will seed with bermuda in hopes that low ph was a major cause for the bare spots. Tests will be in soon btw. I am aware that bermuda doesn't like shade too terribly much either, but I am hoping that this part of the lawn where shade is somewhat heavy, the bermuda will get enough sun to grow. If the shade is too much for the bermuda, i will use a Fescue blend since they are more shade tolerant than rye.

Just to give a mental picture. The front yard is about 4K. It is split in 2 sections by a sidewalk. The right side is shaded and sunlight hits the lawn maybe 2-3 hrs mid summer. this is where the lawn is bare in spots. The other side is not nearly as bad. Bermuda will grow well there. If i cant get bermuda to grow on the right side, should i renovate the left side in the fall '04 and plant fescues? or will it even be given a second though by drivers by, having dormant bermuda on the left side and the green fescues on the right next fall season?

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Throw the rye forget the straw & fescue.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Forget seeding bermuda if there is any shade. You will waste your time and their money. You will also look like you don't have a clue what your doing. I seed 100's of lawns every year. My conditions and yours are very very close. Bermuda will always thin out in any shade. Nature of that beast. Put rye in now if you must. I would suggest in very early March seed it with Fescue and let the bermuda and Fescue co-exist until the bermuda is all but gone due to shade.

You can email me for more info or I'll give you my phone number.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're a helluva nice guy, Eric. BTW, do you do house calls too???

8. Doster's L & L

thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it! And also thanks for the tip on bermuda.

Hey, rod. What's up with the response like that? That didn't help me out or anyone else reading this thread. that wasted my time and everyone elses.

9. If it was me I wouldn't use a annual unless it was a mixture like futura rye mix which will start to germinate in 5 days if the weather is right .Or you a straight perennial Rye like Churchill or derby. This is how they get the Bermuda fairways in the golf courses in your zone to stay green. Then in the spring I would over seed again with perennial rye.It works alot better with Bermuda than fescue.In the high shaded area's you might have to throw in some creeping red to cover the bare spots. Also I wouldn't use any fertilizers this late.And never use straw or hay.It has no value at all to a lawn.It will just create problems.Now remember perennial rye is a high dollar seed right now so make sure you charge extra for it

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Eric and I are friends.

I was complimenting him on his way of offering you help by having you send an email to him and giving you his telephone number. I know Eric and he is somewhat cautious about blindly giving out green industry info to others (especially to those who he competes with). As for the house call part, that was only a joke if you didn't get it.

BTW, if my responses annoy you, just put me on your ignore list.
    That will solve any problem of potentially wasting your time.