Transitioning into more machine work??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, May 14, 2014.

1. JNB Construction

JNB Construction LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that!

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I use my Ex 4 times as much as my skid steer. Never really needed a smaller on although a bigger one would have been nice sometimes.LOL

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Both are nice to have but I find myself wishing I had an excavator to do a job with instead of a skid steer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

CTL is first on my list, since I need one to run my sandbag attachment.

I've convinced myself that buying new is not the best financial decision. Been searching machinery trader, united rentals etc.. For a Tak TL140 w/ cab. Found a few a better price range. Found a bunch of TL130s, but I think that may be too small. Local united rentals has an 07' TL140 w/ cab for $26k and will include a brush cutter they have 4sale. Going chat with them 2morrow.

Just don't see it being a good business decision jump into a $1k month machine note.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

That pretty much means you have no buisness then. Not trying too be rude but a 1000.00 a month is chump change doing the kinda work you are describing. I usually get 1000.00 a day for the skid and rotary cutter. Ex and mulcher even more. At some point you have too get serious about this. It took me several years too get over payment shock.LOL

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

isnt that less than your rental bill per month?

7. KrayzKajun

Yea the payment shock sucks. Lol

I am serious about this, that's why I've made some changes company wise. My wife is due Aug 4th for our second child. I've decided to let her quit her job and stay home with our two sons. She will do bookwork etc for me also.
    So I'm aquiring a few new bills(her vehicle note & now an $900/month health insurance).

I plan to pay off the used machine quickly and build up to purchasing a new machine and keep the used one as a backup second machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Look at it this way, for $1000 a month how many days do you have to work the machines?

9. BShaffer

BShaffer LawnSite Member

J, one of the best pieces of biz advice a mentor ever gave me was, don't hire your wife. I know your position, so if you want to stay married make it as short and sweet as possible. For your sanity!

10. KrayzKajun

Thanks for all the advice fellas.
    Posted via Mobile Device