transitioning new sod to existing grass??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turboawd, Nov 7, 2007.

1. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i have a new yard that i'm going to sod. the neighbors on each side have existing grass.
    instead of using a shovel or skidsteer, how can i create the little step and straight line so that when i lay my sod, the new sod is at the same elevation as the neighbors grass. i dont want to just lay the sod over the dirt and existing grass, since there will be a little step. the edge of the sod will be exposed.

will a sod cutter be the best thing to use? just make a straight pass along the property line and then the new sod should sit flush with the old grass, right?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a bed edger and tuck the sod edge into it. We set the bed edger to only do a 1" edge. It works very well.

Chris

3. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i'm borrowing a bed egder with the bedmaster rotor.
    unless i didnt see correctly, can you adjust the depth that the machine digs?

i suppose i could just over dig and then just push back the soil as needed.

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what you are prepping the soil with , but we use a harley rake and get as close as possible with it , then use a Stihl mini tiller to cut the edge . Don't see how a bed edger would work well for that application -the soil must be level , not tapered.

5. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i rented a sod cutter. it worked excellent and was quick.