transits/levels

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by kemmer, Jul 8, 2007.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys like better for setting pitch and slope? using a laser rotating level or a transit? also what brands do you recommend

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

For setting block - laser lever

for setting fall for a patio and to measure the elevation of a patio - a good 'ol string line and line level

3. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I use a laser level for everything now. I have a Spectra spinning laser. Spend the money and buy a self leveling laser. You will wonder how you ever did with out it.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I won't use a string line and string level ever again if I can avoid it... I've had too many string levels go bad on me to trust even a new one.

Besides, we've got a single grade Topcon laser. Why go with something you can't trust (string level) over a great piece of trustworthy equipment??

5. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Transit and line level works great for us. Would like to look into the laser levels, but I dont have any experience with them so Im not sure what to look for in a good one without spending a lot of unecessary money.

6. D Felix

Good one = self leveling, rotating, with a good servicing dealer. In our area, that means a Topcon. Forget CST/Berger. They are decent, but you won't get me away from Topcon anytime soon.

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

D Felix, care to tell me how you set up that single grade laser for a patio?

9. D Felix

Put it on the tripod with the uphill side of the transit facing the direction of the house and the downhill side facing away.

Turn it on, punch in the desired slope and walk away.

Of course, it's not always that easy (almost never), and there usually is some math to do to check that the laser is set up right, but it gets close enough for what we do...

10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

What about a grade matching laser? It doesn't have an lcd screen to show the percent of slope. I guess you have to set up at the low point and adjust to the high, or vice versa?