transmission cooler position

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by frogman, Jan 11, 2001.

1. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

I am going to put an auxillary trans cooler on my 96 Dodge 2500 w/360. No probs so far and dont want any in the future, either. Somewhere (within the wealth of knowledge and insight I've gotten here) someone wrote about the importance of putting it on the return side of the factory cooler in the radiator.

Why is that?
    Any other suggestion?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I put a trans cooler on my truck not too long ago, and asked the same question.

The way you want it hooked up is with the fluid going from the trans to the radiator, from the radiator you want it to go into the cooler, then from the cooler back to the trans.

The radiator doesn't do a very good job of keeping the trans cool. But having it in-line like I said above will keep the fluid from being too cold. This is how I have it hooked up on my truck, and so far, it has worked really well.

The other thing I do is after I've been plowing for a while, I'll put the truck in either neutral or park, and let it idle for a few minutes. This will cool the trans off considerably.

Good luck!

-Tim

3. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

Thanks Tim,
    I like knowing why.
    Are you running a Dodge also? Did you put a temp guage in?
    I spoke with a AT tech today. He told me that he has seen a whole lot of trucks (Dodge, Chevy and Ford's) with leak probs due to seals/gaskets malfunctioning at tran pan drain plugs and temp probes. Some of the manufacturers have stopped putting them in the packages, not wanting to deal with the warranty issues. Have you heard anything about that? I had intended to add them both until I spoke with him. 'Figured I'd better look into it some more.
    Bob

4. SlimJim Z71

Actually, I have a Chevy Z71. No leaks at the cooler, and everytime I want to change the trans-fluid, I have to drop the pan (no drain plug.) It's not so bad though... being a mechanic, I have constant access to a lift.

I was considering putting a temp gauge in, but I didn't get to it before winter... and I don't like messing with my truck too much when there's a chance of snow. If something should go wrong, then I wouldn't be able to plow. I may put one on in the spring.

-Tim

5. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

A few minutes ago there was a piece on the news about a new ordnance in Chicago. They're going to levy fines on homeowners who dont shovel the sidewalks in front of there houses (starting at $200). It sounds like more work coming up in your neck of the woods. Better get another blower or two.

Bob

6. SlimJim Z71

Wow... that sucks. I have a mountain of snow right by where my sidewalk was/is. I suppose I ought to go out and start digging...

-Tim

7. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

Another shining exampal of lawyer-driven our country has become.

Bob

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If you have a plow package, the truck already comes with a mammoth trans cooler.

As others have said you should run the fluid thru the radiator cooler first. Otherwise the trans will never warm up (and with the 46RE in your 96 that means it will never shift out of 2)

9. Alan

Alan Member

Everything I ever saw about auxiliary coolers indicates that the fluid should go through the auxilairy cooler FIRST and then through the radiator cooler. The reason being to prevent overcooling the fluid. This way the auxiliary cooler takes most of the thermal load and if you're running in a light load/cold air situation the radiator cooler actually brings the temperature back up to what the transmission was designed to operate at.

10. frogman

frogman LawnSite Member

Hey Bill (thelawnguy) and Alan,

Who's right?

Bob