Transmission in F150 - Mechanical Gurus, I Need Advice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ursushorribilus, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

The transmission blew up in my 94 F150 5.8 L yesterday, the second time in 3 years. AAMCO rebuilt it for about $3000.00 the last time, at about 100,000 miles, and it's lasted to the present mileage of about 179,000 miles. The warranty has expired, I believe.

My question is this. Can I have a heavier transmission built, one equivalent to that of a three-quarter ton or a one-ton, as I want to pull a loaded 16' enclosed trailer? I just read about how it's possible to beef up the suspension, which I'm considering, and with the necessity of having the transmission rebuilt, is upgrading it an option? If so, what's a reasonable price I should expect to pay? I'm told AAMCO is overpriced and that I got screwed the last time. Are they, and did I?

Some people have told me to get rid of my aging Ford and get a heavier truck, but I'm just in the preliminary stages of researching the lawncare business and equipment I will need, all of which will be paid for in cash, and really can't afford the expense of another vehicle Furthermore, I've put so much money into this truck over the years it just seems wrong to get rid of it. It runs like a champ usually, and has alot of power. Thanks...Tony

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/complete_tranny.html

for about 3k you can get a suncoast tranny they build them for diesels that can handle 800+ hp if not look for a speed shop that can upgrade the torque converter shift kit etc just let them know it needs to be built for pulling

3. Ursushorribilus

If I buy one of these suncoast transmissions or something comparable, as well as beef up the suspension, will my truck pull like a 3/4 or 1 ton?

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The way a truck pulls has to do with how it is geared (the rearend)A heavy duty tranny will help. Most 1/2 ton trucks are not set up for day to day pulling.
    Tim

5. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

What transmission do you have in it now? A C6 is a very stout non computer controlled transmission. It will swap right into your truck with little problem. They are in just about everything if you have a salvage yard near you You should be able to pull one and have it built for under 1000 dollars.
    It is only a 3 speed so it has no overdrive gear. But hey, this is a work truck, right?

Nothing will make your truck a 3/4 ton or larger truck. It is a combination of things (suspension, differiential, frame). That make it heavy duty.

6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

See BLK94fiveoh, Fords are not perfect either.

On the trans. to pull a 16ft i would put a cheap junk yard trans back in and sell the f150 and go buy a f250 or something like that.

7. Ursushorribilus

When will I learn to never trust AAMCO?

I got thinking about it and wondered if AAMCO might decide to cut me some slack, in light of this transmission they rebuilt that self-destructs after 79,000 miles, on a truck that's never towed, been worked, or done anything besides transport passengers. So I called them...they said "sure, we'll tow it in and look it over for you, only cost you $400.00 So I'm thinking they'll do the right thing, and tell them to come and get it.

They call me back yesterday, tell me something about torque converters and pumps, etc., and quote me a price of $2,400.00 to fix it a second time. I ask what a brand new transmission costs, they tell me it's just not done, nobody buys new transmissions, it's better to rebuild. I talked to a friend at a parts store, he calls Ford, they tell him a brand new transmission from the factory for my truck costs $2,000.00 (if I give them the old transmission). Is this for real? And if so, how can this AAMCO manager look himself in the face?

So, I owe AAMCO $400.00 now for the privilege of them telling me what's wrong, and the option of giving them $2,400.00 They're waiting for an answer. I'm tempted to have my truck towed back to my house and rot in my driveway rather than let them screw me again. If I didn't have so much money invested in keeping this truck running to date, I would scrap it!

I have a mechanic friend looking for used transmissions on a database, where he says decent used stuff with warranties can be purchased at fairly reasonable prices. Meanwhile, back at the AAMCO evil empire, they await my response. What to do? Tony

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would put a used tranny in it, add a transmission cooler and change the tranny fluid every year or 6 months. Maybe that would help some. I know people that have had trannys replaced in gm cars here for around 1500- 2000 dollars at the gm dealerships, so i believe that is a fair price and for real

9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Well 79,000 on a trans that some "trans tech" from aamco rebuilt aint bad, but it still sucks. I'd have it taken away and get the reman trans from the dealer. No way it should cost you 400 bucks for them to say its trashed. What trans do you have? is it an AOD or an E4OD? And they are right in that you wont get a NEW trans from anyone. The best you can do is a remanufactured trans from Ford. You might just be getting ripped off.. PM me and I'll help you. What may seem like a trans failure may just be a simple fix.

10. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

try http://www.car-part.com

It is a database of auto recyclers all across the country. I just did a quick search and found one on there for ya for $650 with only 48K on it. Not a bad price at all. Search for yourself and you can probably do better depending on how far you are willing to drive to get it.

It is an E4OD