Transmission pully wobble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shady Brook, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have a 32" scag that has wobble on the trans pully. I assume there are bearings that go bad on these? Can anyone confirm this, or should there be some play or wobble? I lost gear 5, and have pully wobble all at 145 hours. Seems like a quality problem here.

Thanks guys
    Jay

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

At 145 hours the tranny should still be under warranty. Take it back.

3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I am the second owner, and the mower is about 2 years old. It is just a trim mower used to get in some gated yards. Kid before me had almost no customers, so it is in mint condition, well except for the trans and stuff.

Thanks Richard
    Jay

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming it's a Peerless tranny, there are needle bearings around the input shaft. If you are getting a "wobble" there, these are probably worn out. I'd pull the tranny to see if there is wear into the aluminum housing that seats the bearing. If there is, replace the tranny. If not replace the bearing and don't set the belt too tight.

5. Shady Brook

from Indiana

eslawns

Thanks for the reply.

I have a new trans, and new trans pully. The pully was torn up bad, and I had trans trouble. I is working great now, and only $200 bucks in the tank. How do you ever get ahead?

Jay