transmission &transfercases

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mycave, Feb 10, 2000.

1. mycave

mycave LawnSite Member

I am looking for a TH 400 trany & a NP 205 t-case does any one know of a place arround springfield il. or a web sight, any info will help rebuilt our used.

2. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

How much are you willing to spend?/ I have a 205 and Fresh rebuilt th350, and all the driveshafts ( both brand new) for a longbox with dana 44 and 14 bolt setup.

3. Abe

Abe LawnSite Member

talk to the guys at aamco transmission, i just bought a th400 tranney with lifetime warranty, without a core for 800.00, the np 205, i believe it was either 4 wheeler magazine or petersons that had an article on how to tell the difference last month, i would start scavaging the old parts yards in kentucky, might be a little drive, but there are a lot of treasures in those yards!!!<p>-abe<br>

4. Abe

Abe LawnSite Member

i found the magazine that addresses the np 205 recognition, it is the March 2000 issue of 4x4power pgs 44-49<p>-abe<br>

5. mycave

mycave LawnSite Member

Thank for finding the artical Abe. Looks like I need to plan a road trip

6. Abe

Abe LawnSite Member

here might be a little more help for you if you plan to scavenge the parts yards.<p>check out chucks chevy pages, also If the rig had full time 4x4 it is a np203 if it is a chevy 70's model with man trans odds are it is a 205 auto trans odds are it is a 203. Anyway.......you might find additional help as far as identifying a donor vehicle specs by visiting chucks website<p>-abe<br>

7. Abe

Abe LawnSite Member

here might be a little more help for you if you plan to scavenge the parts yards.<p>check out chucks chevy pages, also If the rig had full time 4x4 it is a np203 if it is a chevy 70's model with man trans odds are it is a 205 auto trans odds are it is a 203. Anyway.......you might find additional help as far as identifying a donor vehicle specs by visiting chucks website<p>-abe<br>

8. jim

jim LawnSite Member

an easy way to i.d. the 205 is by the shifter rod sticking thru the floor. the 205has a round rod coming out of the floor topped by whtever handle the previous owner chose to install. it is the only t-case with a round handle<p>----------<br>big Jim<br>

9. jim

jim LawnSite Member

i forgot .look for a case with a bracket bolted on the passenger side that bolts to the frame. my first case didnt have that ,after breaking 2 adapters(?)and 1 transmission in half i realized the bracket was a necessity for survival under less than perfect conditions<p>----------<br>big Jim<br>

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

The NP 205 has a drain plug on the back. The NP 203, has no drain plug. There is a photo of each case, on my web pages, under the &quot;Parts Identification&quot; heading.<p>~Chuck<br><p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html