transmission type

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by cutntrim, Feb 21, 2000.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

All three of our plow trucks are 3/4 ton 4x4's and and they are all automatic transmissions. Before we started plowing we used to own a little nissan 2wd 5-speed and a ford ranger 2wd 5-speed. I'm wondering how those of you who have plowed with standard transmission vehicles felt about them. Is there much of a difference in plowing standard vs. automatic. I'm speaking only of 4wd trucks.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
  2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

All of my plow trucks are automatics even the 650. Plowing with a standard is just one more thing to think about, and is more of a pain.<p>Geoff
  3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Well my subs love manual trannies. So I pay them 5$ less an hour to drive them. I dont care how fast at shifting you are, an auto is faster and more productive.<br>I have plowed with both and the manual gets old fast, after like 10 shfit changes.<br>Get a good coller and use low range when pushing heavy snow/piles and it will serve you great. And make sure you come to a complete stop any time you cahnge from D to R<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment
  4. cutntrim

You're right about the collars and the full stops Dino. We've got heavy duty ones and we try to always come to a full stop between shifts. I must admit that I can get a little sloppy in that department when I've been in the truck for 12 hours or so though.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
  5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

What's a &quot;collar&quot;? I thought it was cooler misspelled, but cutntrim repeated it.<p>To answer the auto/maual question, I wouldn't even THINK about buying a truck w/ manual trans. But my tow truck buddies love 'em.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I used manual trans only for 9 years,now I you couldn't pay me to plow with one,and they are very slow,especially a diesel w/4.56gears.You could walk faster than it backs up at max rpms and it is annoying to have to wind the crap out of an engine that is meant to grunt.Now I zip around in my trucks w/auto twice as fast as I could before.My clutch leg would get so bad after 30-40hrs plowing that I had to stop and stretch often.I sometimes wonder how I used to plow with junk plows,a 1970 Toyota Fj40,3 on tree,manual steering,practically no heat,etc.. I feel lucky now<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Yes John plow trucks have come a long way baby.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment
  8. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Ok I have to admit to this....Hello, my name is Dave and I plow with a standard.... <p>Pros:<br>No need for cooler<br>Fluid lasts a long time<br>Repairs far and few<br>HD rated (NP435)<br>1st gear is LOWWWW<br>NEVER need low range<p><br>Cons:<br>Slow from fwd to rev<br>More work<br>SLOW to back up(1st and rev same gear ratio)<br>Transmits more shock to drivetrain<br>Potential clutch problems<br>Did I say it was SLOW in reverse!!!!<p>When I bought this truck I got it cheap because it was a 6/stick. Did not buy it for a plow truck, didn't plow back then(1990). I have plowed with an 87 Chevy 3/4,98 Chevy diesel 3/4, and 99SD F350 PSD. They are all auto's and are much easier to use than mine. My next truck WILL be an auto, but for now I have to use what is paid for.....<p>And what is a COLLAR?????<p><br>Dave
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the new trucks (Dodge, the GM family, not sure about Ford) require auto trans to get the snowplow prep package.<p>Both auto and stick will grenade if you are in the habit of shifting from 1 or D to R without stopping completely.<p>Bill<p>----------<br>&quot;...half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.&quot; R.L.<br>
  10. cutntrim

Transmission COOLER, sorry for the confusion. I'm not actually considering a manual transmission next truck, I've just seen guys around using them for plowing and wondered how much of a pain it is to operate them all nite. Your responses confirm what I already had guessed. <p>Went skiing today about 2 1/2hrs north of here and it was 8 degrees celsius and sunny. Left early, it was like skiing on a slushy. Forcast says double digit temps (celsius) for the rest of the week and probably some rain as well. Imagine we'll have virtually no snow left on the ground come monday. I'll be out drumming up some new commercial lawncutting/fertilizing business the rest of the week. Alot of guys have probably been out canvassing for a while now. How 'bout you Lazer?<p>See you in the comm. lawn forum.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>