Transplant a 10' Fir Tree? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bunkers, Nov 20, 2007.

1. bunkers

bunkers LawnSite Member

Is digging this up, moving it (w/ maybe 3 men) :weightlifter: and transporting (using a 1/2 ton pickup) do-able? worthwhile?

I'm just ultimately trying to save some money on a nice tree ... and the person getting rid of it is trying to save the tree which is at his elderly mother's house.

I've heard fir trees can be difficult to transplant and die often.

Does this look worth the risk? IF so, how deep should I dig ... and any advise on how to get it loaded into my truck?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

roots are under the deck and under the shed, access is going to be hard, while you might get it dug, I don't think three guys will be able to get it out of the hole and wrapped and transplanted very easily. You are correct on Survivability If i was going to do it, I'd do in early spring...

I think you'd end doing a fair amount damage to the tree just getting it out of the space
  3. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

will probally need a machine to help pick up the tree to koad 3 guys probally not?

Stupid question i do all my transplanting in the fall so that the roots will sit in the droung and absorb the autum rain and winter rain/snow and heal not being forced to grow in the spring after a transplant. Have i been doing this wrong for the last 26 years> or is it different in the south?
  4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Call bob at big john tree spades in Frankstown he can help you the firs need to keep the ball tight which will be hard to do is such a confined space. He Bob knows alot of tricks and is local.
  5. MarcSmith

Although evergreens don't lose their leaves, spring is also the best time to transplant them. The worst time to move evergreens is right after the season's flush of new growth has begun. This growth is very "thin skinned," leading to rapid water loss, and almost certain dieback. Fall transplanting is often recommended in areas of mild climate. In such areas it is almost impossible for a tree to dry out during winter. On the Prairies, where winter brings intense cold with extremely dry winds, fall-transplanted trees stand a much greater risk of being seriously damaged by the combined moisture stresses of transplanting and winter drying.
  6. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

thank you you taught me something new
  7. MarcSmith

its all about for instance tomorrow, I'm going to learn just how much food I can eat....
  8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

:dancing: " Deck the room with boughs from fir tree"
    FA - LA - LA - LA - LA --- LA - LA - LA - LA !
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Root pruning the year before will increase the odds of survival. Dr. Bob Partyka proved this when he supervised the transport of several 50 foot-tall spruces that were moved from the Iowa State Fairgrounds several years ago. The root pruning was done via tree spades. Dr. Bob has since passed away, but his knowledge has been passed on.