Transplant shock?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mowin4cash, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Wondering if you guys can help me. I have done two small installations this season, and have installed helleri holly and ilex crenata "Chesapeake" holly at both sites. I dug plenty big of a hole, installed correctly, and watered the plants in well. In one week, all the leaves have fallen off, why is this. All the rest of the plants in the same beds are in great shape, even the azaleas are starting to bloom.

Mike

2. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

MIKE,
    MY WIFE USES VITAMIN B1 WHEN SHE PLANTS FOR CUSTOMERS.
    NOT VERY EXPENSIVE.
    FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON CONTAINER.

3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible you over watered?

Also, could have been the material you purchased. Could have been under stress. How was it transported.

Ball and burlap or container? Were the balls dropped by you or in the nursery (sometimes you'll never know this).

4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you overwatered them,just leave them alone,they'll either recover or die,theres nothing more you can do to help them other than replant new plants.

5. Mowin4cash

It can't be from overwatering, underwatering maybe. Plants seemed to be in great condition at time of purchase. I doubt the homeowner watered even one time. But we did have fairly good rain during this time, and they were watered well at installation. These plants were in plastic containers and were transported from nursery to my shop in an enclosed trailer. They stayed in the trailer about 5 days before planting. Maybe they didn't like total darkness that long????

Mike

6. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

.Ah theres the answer to your question then,always leave plants outside,if their in plastic pots water daily,the potting mix usually used in plastic pots dries out quite quickly,a point to remember when planting plants from plastic pots,the mix will dry out and and shrink back from surrounding soil unless watered regularly until established.Looks like another trip back to nursery and replace some plants this time:blush: Cheers.....

7. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

the planting mix in pots is typically a soil less combination of product, including mini pine bark nuggets.

The material is great in nursery pruction since they can get roots to grow quickly since the pots readily drain (field capacity) and have plenty of air space for root growth. As BigJim said, the mix will dry out very quickly. You have to water daily or every other day depending on weather.

Locking your plants in a trailer for five days - you most likely cooked them, or they dried out even if it wasn't that hot. The tender root system on container plants do not rejuvinate well after being dried out. You basically loose the fibrous root and that's what pulls the water from the "soil".

8. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

5 days, enclosed trailer thats the problem. No light, water, or air circulation= problems.

9. Mowin4cash

Thanks guys for your responses. I guess it's back to the nursery. So much for that "high profit!"

Mike