Transplanted shrubs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Craig Turf Management, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I tore out, (gently removed) some shrubs Monday at a clients home. She really wanted the shrubs to be recycled if at all possible, and wanted to know if I could replant these shrubs at another clients property. She's a tree hugger like myself. So I brought them home and planted them in the rear of my home along my deck. They are very nice Indian Hawthones larger than 7 gallon about 15 of them. Six Nandina, and 9 Carissa holly. I planted them in a raised bed of topsoil blended with composted bark fines, and mulched the bed with about 3 inches of double ground hardwood mulch. I added some slow release fertilizer for trees and shrubs. Is there anything else that you would do to ensure that these shrubs thrive?
    Thanks for your help. Bill!

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

water, water, and water....

everything else you've done looks good.

Make sure you planted them at the same level they were growing in so you don't smother them.

i would also prune a little bit off them to ease the shock.

Dave

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't prune anything off them, that will only make the plant use more energy at the cut to heal itself. You would actually create more shock to the plant by doing this. Otherwise I would say you did all you could.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Randy,

I guess pruning transplants is a very debatable topic.

I've always pruned trees and shrubs which i've transplanted due to the fact that you will damage roots and have top growth die.

Thus, the pruning alleviates stress.

The proper way of transplanting would entail root pruning weeks prior to actually removing the plant.

there are numerous sites and opinions on transplant pruning. some pro some con.

in the 20+ years of experience i've had with nursery and landscaping, this is a practice i've used with great results.

The shrubs which CTM has transplanted are very hardy varieties, pruning or not, if planted correctly and proper care they should easily survive.

Just my opinion.

Dave

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

captdevo,
    Your opinion is valued. This stuff is quite new to me and what I have read and learned so far is to not prune when transplanting. I do know root pruning is good for the plant. It's good to get input from people that have alot of field experience versus what the books say. Real life experience sometimes is worth more than textbook talk. It's good to get feedback from people like you.

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sorry I prune all the time! By reducing the leaf and branches you are not adding any stress to the tree or shrub, just the reverse. The less leaves and branches the tree has to support with it's reduced root system the more chances it has living. That said we don't trim as much in the fall as we do in the spring or summer. We also look to reduce new growth in late spring and summer, most time by pruning back all or most of the new growth.

7. Craig Turf Management

Thanks for the good information. I've seen folks prune shrubs at the time of transplanting. Would you prune a seven gallon shrub though?
    Will rooting hormone help increase the survival rate for shrubs?
    Thank you again. Take care, Bill!

8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Root hormone additive may help stimulate root growth which is a great thing for winter-time and to ease the plant into its new home

9. Craig Turf Management

Lanelle,
    Is it worth the bother to dig down and expose the roots and apply the hormone? I really want these shrubs to thrive.
    Thanks, Bill!

10. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Apply LIQUID as directed - 1/4 tsp SuperThrive & 1 oz B1, per gal... as I recall. Drench the root ball after planting. Leave as much dirt intact around the roots as possible (though it sounds like you are dealing with the equivalent of bare-root transplants).

Be careful you don't induce root rot by overwatering (a lot of the soil locally is hard clay) Sounds like your planting mix is perfect, though.

I don't know what a "7-gallon" size is - for Raphs & Nandinas they are either 5 or 15. But in general, I agree with the idea of pruning back the branches to reduce the amount of leaf surface available for transpiration (definitely more important out here during the hot summer, than it is now in the cool fall).

So, right now, depending on the sizes of the plants, it might not be necessary to cut them back at all.