Transplanting a craypt myrtle tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnworker, Jun 1, 2005.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Somebody wants me to dig one up and move it to another location a mile down the road. I have no idea how hard they are to dig up. Do they have a large root ball? The customer has told me that the tree is not very thick, but is is about twelve feet tall. What kind of general range would you guys price this job at. Thanks for the help.
  2. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Lagerstroemia indica is in the family Lythraceae, the loosestrife family. They bloom on new wood and require deep, infrequent watering for best performance. They are well adapted to hot, dry conditions. Depending on the watering type and schedual, the roots can be shallow ( from sprinkler irrigation) or deep ( from deep watering). If the trunk is as thick as your wrist, I'd allow at least a 3' root ball. If it's bigger, you'll be in for a bit of a battle. It shouldn't take to long to dig it up provided that you have the tools and burlap. I'd charge about $30-$40/tree. When you get them to the new site, mix some of the native soil with the new soil ( remember that 3' rootball?) and treat it with SuperThrive or some other root stimulator to offset the transplant shock. Keep the soil lightly moist for the next week or so, about the same consistency as a wrung out sponge. Crape myrtles are very hardy plants but are VERY susceptible to powdery mildew. Don't forget to add your charge for mileage and root stimulator or B-1 when you submit your bill. Hope this info has been helpful.
  3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor is doing construction on his house and during the excavation they dug up a 10yr(?) old crape myrtle. The tree had two trunks about 4" dia, they tore the main root up with a back hole and left a root ball of less than 2' dia. My neighbor thought it was dead (this happened in Feb.) and left it in the brush pile for three weeks before I suggested we replant it.

It lives, I cut it back pretty hard and watered it well. As Garth say's, they are very hardy.
    I don't think you will have any problem transplanting your tree/shrub. I'll also bet that little crape myrtle's will be sprouting up after it's moved.
  4. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Yeah, they are pretty tough. I had a client that had 16 mature crepes under some large shade trees. She wanted the crepes out and new shade tolerant landscaping put in. I cut them all down at the ground, and since they were among the roots of the shade trees, I cut the roots off at the trunk. So what I pulled out of the ground was a chunk of wood just above ground level and just below ground level, no roots or trunk. This was in Texas in June. I hated to throw it all away so I took 3 of the stumps home and planted them. Full grown crepes again. Most of what I have at home is what I pulled out of someones yard.

To answer your question, 12' trees are not hard to dig up, if it is actually that size (dont take customer word for it). I would think you could have it up and replanted in an hour barring unusual circumstances. I would think 100-125 would do it in my area.

Bryan Lafleur