Transplanting an oak tree

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mitsuman47, Sep 14, 2007.

1. mitsuman47

mitsuman47 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I have a huge oak tree in my pasture and it has several small oaks growing underneath it ranging in size from 2ft up to 6ft. I'm wanting to transplant a few of these into my back yard. I have a 30hp kubota tractor with a front end loader and some 25 year old manual labor to work with.

What's the biggest size tree that I could safetly move? It won't hurt my feelings if y'all tell me the 2 footer. :laugh:

When should I do the transplants? I'm 60 miles south east of Dallas.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
    Ryan

2. NNL&LS

NNL&LS Banned
    from zone 5

You shouldn't have any problem with 6' trees. Just be sure to dig out as much of the root structure as possible. The extra effort will ensure its survival.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah you shouldn't have a problem moving the 6' tree...don't know how true this is some old timers down here in south florida told me this but you should move it towards the end of winter down here in south florida we don't get much of a winter so he told me to move them in feb..he also told me to go and root prune them and then go back i think 2wks and then remove it and put it in your yard and water and then add some more water.....

like nnl said try to out kinda of far to get as much as the root as you can .....

4. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Read my first post in the link below. it should help you a lot.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=200168

I would avoid root pruning for at least the first 2 years. Let it get established in the new site first. Also avoid any pruning to the stem and laterals in the first two years, unless there is a major co dominant stem, and in that case I would just reduce the limb for now.

Good Luck and let us know if we can help you more!

5. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

6. mitsuman47

mitsuman47 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I guess I'll be waiting until early spring to do the transplants. The trees actually are white oak, so it looks like I'll have my work cut out for me.

Is there anything I can do now to facilitate my work for next spring? Should I do a soil sample since I'm only moving the trees ~125 yards?

Also, I read somewhere that if you take a spade and and go around the root ball, it will make the roots grow more dense. Is this true? Should I do it?

Thanks again for all the help.

7. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

Rootpruning can be helpful for trees but is generally best done for two or more years before transplanting. From the second site I gave you near the bottom of the page under 'Techniques for Transplanting Large Trees':

I know there's lots of info there so you might want to read it a couple of times.

Newt