Transplanting Bamboo

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mrusk, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I need to move around 14 year old bamboo plants. They are 1 year old. I need them out of their current spot this week. The new spot for them will not be ready for two weeks. If we dig them up and put the in a pile of top soil and keep them well watered, what kind of chance do I have of them not all dying?

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Edit: 14) 1 Year Old Bamboo Plants!
  3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im a Bamboo fanatic, I have trans planted a whole lot of Baamboo. I have alaways tried to dig and plant in the same day. I have had about 75% sucesss rate. I would if at all possible try to plant them in the same day. Dig as big a root ball as possible, trim ogg any exposed roots. Tha cane may be pruned, but try to leave 3 or 4 branches on it.

I have aslo grown some plants by seed, however my suecss rate is around 2% so its not advisible unless your extremely pacient.

How big is the bamboo your wanting to move?
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt, dig them with the largest rootball you can manage, ball & burlap or put them into containers for however long you need to ready the new area. Water them well to exclude any air pockets. Trim any loose roots with sharp pruners back to the soil area. They don't typically nned any fertilizer, but if you can, perform a soil test on the new area.