1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Transplanting cost, need help!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scag48, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Okay guys, I've got a bit of a problem. We have a customer, actually one of my dad's very good friends of 40 years, has a bit of a situation. This customer has 5 acres of property somewhat secluded from town and is mostly arid desert land. His neighbor is an orchardist, who is also a raving lunatic, decided one day that since he was selling his orchard property for a subdivision he was going to cut down our client's trees. Turns out these trees are 40-50 tall and have been around forever. Needless to say our client was very disturbed that his trees were cut as his father planted the trees many years ago. The client is making an insurance claim and cost is not an option for getting this work done because he's not paying for it. We plan on bringing in a Cat 320 excavator to remove the old roots and transplant the new trees. My question is, how much, typically, would a tree in this size range cost? We're not looking for a specific species at the moment, just trying to place a bid and need a ballpark figure on tree cost by Monday. Thanks for the help guys!
  2. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Not really an expert by any means but you have to chose a species. The price for a tree will vary by how quickly it grows. An old oak tree would be extremely expensive, yet a maple would reach mature size rather quickly ie much cheaper. Money being no object I would rent the largest tree spade you can find and take out the stumps that way the hole would be ready for new tree. Have you found where you are going to buy the replacement trees?
  3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

What kind of trees are you talking about?

I may be able to help you calculate a replacement cost if you can

1) Name the species
    2) Describe the tree in detail
    3) Measure the Diameter

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

This is a very difficult question and one I have faced .... all I could do is give them the price it would cost for the biggest trees we could bring in.... the value of a 50 year old tree is not something I'm an expert on...there is also the sentimental value in this case... your talking about 10's of thousands of dollars for the trees alone..bring in an expert.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think the basic pricing on value of landscape tree's goes by the tree's girth.So much money for so many inches of girth.A mature tree that is producing
    fruit or nuts is worth more because it is a source of future income.You need a certified arborist to come out and give you a value.
  6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Hope this info will help you.
    Local Arborists in your area

Retzel, Kerry Retzel New Leaf Co.
    EAST WENATCHEE, WA 98802 (509) 884-0366
    Wavra, Clifford Chelan County
    WENATCHEE, WA 98801 (509) 667-6225

Lockman, Ronald Lockman Tree Service
    EAST WENATCHEE, WA 98802 (509) 884-3483
    Roach, Daniel Plant Systems
    WENATCHEE, WA 98807 509-662-1909

Roberson, Donna Chelan County PUD
    WENATCHEE, WA 98807 509-663-8121
    Sanborn, William Chelan County PUD #1
    WENATCHEE, WA 98807
  7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

We were taught about insurance claims for mature trees when I was in school. We were not trained specifically how to do it, but about hiring experts and the dollar amounts were staggering. I went to the U of Idaho and had some professors from Washington State University as guest lectureres. Call WSU and talk to somebody in Urban Forestry for advice or at least the county extension service. WSU might be better because this guy might befamiliar to your county extension agent.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Okay guys, thanks for the help! There's 8 trees, I know the size of one. I used to mow this place so I'm just trying to remember the kind of characteristics of the trees. I have not been onsite since they were cut down, but they are looking for ballpark. We're going to place a bid for about $50,000 and our client is trying to settle for more, so cost really isn't an option. I know the one tree that was cut down, the biggest out of the 8, was about 22-28 inches in diameter at least, the other 7 are much smaller is diameter, but about 40-50 feet in height. The problem is, equipment access is very tight so we'll have to bring the excavator across quite a bit of lawn, so our bid includes everything to get these trees replaced and the existing landscape back into original condition. I will hopefully find out what species we will be acquiring to replace the trees, but it's so early in the game right now, the homeowner just wants a bid so he can get going on the claim. Again thanks for the help!
  9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

One thing I have found with insurance is that they almost always take the cash...charge for the estimate..they can recoup it.