Transplanting Fert.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Planter, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have read of placing fertilizer pellets in the planting hole when transplanting on installations. Anyone doing this and what do you use?

2. mickman

mickman LawnSite Member

Some do, some don't. As far as transplanting, the plants usually
    go into shock, I think that applying any fert. will stress it out even more. Most nursey stock is fertilized enough. I score plants over hole, and the fert. goes to the bottom. I also use Leafgro, peatmoss or humus to mix with existing soil, then soak it.
    when customers want us to transplant, I simply tell them it's a 50/50 chance of survival.
  3. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

i agree with mickman. there really is no need to fertilize a transplant. when we transplant anything that has been in the ground for over a year or two, we use a product called Mycor Tree Saver. it is helpful for transplants since it has soil conditioning agents and organic biostimulants to help improve the rate of survival. it is a little on the expensive side but seems to help. should be able to get it from a local nursery.