Transplanting several shrubs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jondcoleman, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a client that wants to transplant some shrubs now. Is this a good time of year to do it? Any advice on transplanting them? They are probably around 4 feet high. Thanks!

Jon

2. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Is the soil type similiar in both locations? I am assuming this is on the same property? What Genus and species are the shrubs?

As a general rule you want to get as big and deep of a root ball as possible when digging them up. for a 4' tall tree I would say 3' wide by 2' deep should do it. Now the hole where they are going should be duge twice as deep and wide as the root ball to loosen the soil. Take some fresh compost and mix it in at 5:1 (5 parts earth to 1 part compost). Water it till the hole is entirely full of water. Let that water drain out. Set the new planting in at the same depth as the root flare begins, NO deeper and NO shallower. Pack the soil but dont compact the soil. Then water it again until the plant is "floating". All done throw 2"-3" of mulch on it, be sure to keep the mulch 2" from the stem to allow the roots and base of the stem to breath and stay dry.

Water every 3-4 days for 4 weeks then just once a week after that.

Good Luck!

3. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I just found out from the customer that they are ornamental grasses. They are about 5 feet high right now with a diameter at the soil of about 1 foot. Same deal?

4. BostonBull

No grases are completely different. Depending on which variety 1' may be the perfect time to split them in 3 or more. You should do some reading on Ornamental grasses before trying this.

5. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Do it now.

6. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

7. BostonBull

Good post!