1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

transplanting spruce trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Sharper Edge, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Sharper Edge

Sharper Edge LawnSite Member

I am transplanting 15-20 spruce trees on my own property they are 3-5 feet tall. I am digging them out by hand any tips for my best succsess in keeping them alive?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

well i assume youll be burlapping them when you transplant? just make sure after you put them in the new hole, that you make nice large holes, and we usually fill them up with water and throw some Roots microbial fert in the holes......we call it "the sugar". is there a reason why you are moving them in the middle of summer? youd have better results and luck moving them early spring or late fall..... your just gonna have to really babysit them if you are transplanting this time of year.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do it in fall when they are using less energy and they can survive.They do not like to be messed with at all.
    I recommend digging a wide circumference around the tree trying to get as many small feeding roots as possible.Exposure to air kills roots,so wrap the rootballs get them into prepared holes like within a few minutes of digging them up if possible.Your chances of survival are best that way.Do one at a time and complete the whole process from digging to moving to replanting and watering one tree at a time.
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Too late now to be digging spruce ...come back in the fall and ask again.
  5. Sharper Edge

Sharper Edge LawnSite Member

thanks for the input guys.. looks like i wait untill the fall.