1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

transplanting tree seedlings

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by garbage man, May 14, 2000.

1. garbage man

garbage man LawnSite Member
    from VA

When is the best time to dig up and transplant Walnut Tree seedlings?? I have young trees that are about three to five years old and want to transplant them from under the mother tree. I live in Southwest Virginia.

2. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

Best time is late late fall through very early spring in the South. I don't know about success rates of walnut trees transplanting. Basically do it when trees are dormant.

3. garbage man

garbage man LawnSite Member
    from VA

Thanks EarthWorks, I was not sure about it. There are some people that would like to have them. I guess that it is a little late but I will have to take a chance on it anyway. They have to be moved and giving them the chance to grow somewhere else is the least that I can do.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

To improve chances try digging around them first (like you were going to ball them) then fill in with wood chips. Wait a few weeks, and the roots will grow into the chips and become fibrous. Then transplant. It seems to have worked for me a few times, then again, I've transplanted trees in the middle of tree by just ripping them out with a backhoe and have had them look great the next spring. Just give it a shot and explain to client how they may not take due to the time of year. They will usually understand then if they die.<p>steveair