Transplanting??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnworks, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have got to transplant 4 camilias. I am pretty sure they are camilias anyway. I do mostly lawn maintenance, but I have taken a class on installation but didn't learn much anything about transplanting. The plants are about 4-5 ft tall. How much of the root ball should I dig out? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks
    Rick

2. tiffany

tiffany LawnSite Member

I can give you some general advice, although I can't help you much on how to dig it out. One thing that is important is to be sure that you know what the plants are- it would be a real disaster to misidentify them and plant them in an area that is not right for them. Also, be careful in guaranteeing the job. We, as a rule, try not to guarantee transplants. Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, the plants just can't take the shock and wither away. Then, if you have guaranteed it, you have to replace all of that plant material on a job that you probably won't make a whole lot of money on in the first place. It is important that the homeowner is aware that they may just not make it. Hope that helps a little!

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

to my knowledge, camilias are closely related to rhodes and azealas, ive transplanted rhodes of all sizes and they seem to handle it well.

4. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

If you can save it till the fall do it then. The stress will be a lot less on the roots. I would dig out about 1 foot on either side of the trunk (2' rootball) for starters. Make sure the areas of digging AND receiving are watered 24 hrs prior to work. Dont worry about fertilizer if the cust. asks. Wait till next season to do so. Let the cust. know that growth will be minimal for the next 2 seasons or so due to reestablishment of the roots.